Just how 'relevant' are the practice exams..

Discussion in 'A+' started by Armchair Pimp, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Armchair Pimp

Armchair Pimp Byte Poster

.. in the Mike Myers complete A+ book? I've got both exams booked next week and am trying to guage what I need to brush up on.. when I did my MS exams I felt the practise ones gave me more of a steer of what to improve on and also seemed to be fairly representative of the final exams... are these the same?

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL Found+Pract, A+
    WIP: MCSA, MCTS, MCITP
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Been a long time since I took the A+ but I used the same tests in the MM book. They worked for me.

How are your scores?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

They are quite good and are quite near the same thing but I would recommend purchasing some.

I have use Transcender and Preplogic for the A+ and I have been reviewing the Boson A+ practice exams recently and since I had the preplogic and transcender exams to compare with the boson exams I can say that the Boson exams are far by the best.

IN the Boson exams you will be able to gauge your reddiness for the exams. Here's the link www.boson.com

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Sparky

You on commission mate? :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. Armchair Pimp

I've scored between 80% and 98% on the exams so far..

some of it just seems a bit.. well easy... which surprises me..

I've had a look at the Boson exams.. but to be honest.. that's a bit pricey for me!

6. greenbrucelee

nah but I have seen various practice exams am only saying which are the best imo. I could break it down.

Transcender = spelling mistakes, broken English and general dodgyness like technical errors

Preplogic = okayish but needed proof read before being published and the sentences could have been spaced out a bit better.

Boson = can't seem to fault it really they were both near in terms of difficulty to the real thing. The questions were readable plus the explanations to questions and links to study resources is a good idea which is a good way to study.

7. Sparky

Not to take this too far off the original post but I have found that the Transcender tests to be fine for the MS exams I have taken so far. I was going to buy the 70-649 test questions but its $200 which isnt an option for me just now so I went for the MeasureUp ones instead (£55) which seem to be of a higher quality to the ones that are bundled with the MS Press books.

Unfortunately there is no 70-649 materials from Boson however BM did suggest having a look at the Server 2008 beta products however I just wont have the time to go through them and offer any constructive feedback, didnt want BM to think I was just after a freebie! :biggrin

8. Sparky

If money is an issue have a look at http://www.cramsession.com

You can download a pdf which goes over the main points of the A+

9. greenbrucelee

Well since I have only done the A+ exams, A+ practice exams is all I can compare. Transcenders MS exams may be better than their A+ one. Infact it better had be otherwise some people could be screwed :D

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You get what you pay for. 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. BosonMichael

No problem, mate... if you decide you'll have time within the next 60 days, let me know! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  12. BosonMichael

If getting the products for free in exchange for a detailed review is considered commission, then yes. :D Hah!!! :p

13. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

Some people do see the A+ as easy,it depends on their experience.

For me the mcdst is tougher,and you've already passed that so i can see why you see them as easy.You should be fine for the exam,the questions will look very straightforward compared to a microsoft exam.

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272
  14. Armchair Pimp

I'm not a great exam taker unfortunately and although I've 10 years+ experience in support my job has taken me further away from the 'coal-face' in recent years.. I'm crossing my fingers etc... I can remember stuff on the day!