Just had some bad news..

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by clsyorkshire, Mar 7, 2008.

1. clsyorkshire

clsyorkshire Bit Poster

Was called into the meeting room to see my manager this morning.

Basically he said that the company can no longer justify having 3 people on the IT helpdesk as there isn't enough work for all of us. So, with me being the newest addition, they're going to have to let me go. They have although offered me a different job in the company (what I was doing before I moved into IT - picking, stock checking, etc.).

He's given me the rest of today off and the weekend to think about it, and I have to let him know on Monday morning.

In some ways its worth taking the job for now while I work on my certs and look for something else. Working in their IT department came about quite suddenly and I at least got four months solid IT experience working there.

Oh well, time to dust off the CV again.. 8)

Certifications: AS IT, AVCE IT
    WIP: A+
  2. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear that! :cry:

At least if you take your previous job back, it gives you an income while you look for something better - lots of luck! :(

Certifications: Pet Geekery
    WIP: cure for insomnia
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I'd take the job, but make it absolutely clear to them that you want to be doing IT, and that you will be looking for alternative IT employment.

Make sure that they know that the job will be a stop gap until something better comes along.

Good luck finding alternative employment

8)

4. oztrailrider

oztrailrider Nibble Poster

Sorry to hear about the loss of your current job, it is true though that you have gained valuable experience. I would likely take the old job that they are offering you and look for a new position elsewhere in the meantime as others have suggested. I hope it all works out for you!.

Certifications: MCP (70-270)
    WIP: A+
  5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Sorry to hear about your job, but do take the alternative role and start looking for an IT role actively. Best wishes and don't let this get you down as you have gained four months off hands on practical experience.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  6. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Sorry to hear about that, last in, first out eh.

To be honest id use today for getting on websites like reed.co.uk, www.theitjobboard.com (google it jobs) and applying for everything that seems reasonable.

It can be quite hard getting back into IT, but i think if you explain to prospective employers the situation then theyll at least see you are hardworking and a team player.

Good luck with the job hunt

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  7. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

That's a bugger -- sorry to hear of your news. I'll second Simon's advice.

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I know the feeling, brother. It's a shock. They obviously value you to offer you a different position. I also agree with Si...take the job and keep on pursuing IT. Take the weekend to recover from this blow and move on come Monday. Good luck.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

I'm sorry to hear that. I agree with the other posters...take the other job and continue on the IT route.

10. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

clsyorkshire, take the job and carry on getting more IT quals in your spare time.
    And if their short staffed or someone leaves your may get the call to help out.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  11. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I was about to comment on not taking a backward step, but then common sense prevailed and I told the voices to shut up as I would do anything to get a job doing something. :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  12. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Sorry to hear it. – but the positive is you got some valuable experience.

Agreed…
    Take the old job, and ask them to consider you for an IT role if anything opens up. If you’re comfortable with your manager, mention you are considering looking for other IT roles in the future, and would like him/her to be a reference.

That will give you the best opportunity to not lose income and get a reference for future IT-roles.

13. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I would disagree Simon I wouldn't tell them it's a stop gap as they might turn around and tell him to naff off. I would take the job and just keep an eye out for a new IT job but make them aware that if a position in IT comes up that you want it.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  14. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

It's not too likely that they will treat him disrespectfully when they are already showing that they value him by trying to keep him rather than just dumping him outright.

I vote for honesty here. The boss already knows he wants to work in IT, so being upfront about things isn't a bad thing. One good turn deserves another, and they are doing him a good turn by offering him another job when his current job is going away.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Like Simon and Freddy, I'd also go the honesty route here. Basically, if they want to keep him long term, they need to make an effort to keep him in IT. Otherwise, they need to understand that, although he is (likely) grateful for being allowed to remain employed with the company, he WILL be leaving at some point to continue his chosen career path.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. Finkenstein

Finkenstein Kilobyte Poster

I'm sorry to hear about that, but I have to agree, that I would take the old position since it's a guaranteed paycheck for a little while, as you are looking for IT employment. I agree with slypie that I wouldn't tell them I was actively looking for other employment because the chance of them being ok with that is small. If I told my boss I was looking for employment elsewhere, I'd be gone today.

Good luck to you and keep your help up!

Certifications: MCP, Network+, CCENT, ITIL v3
    WIP: 640-822
  17. michael78

Honesty doesn't pay the bills if you get told to leave. If you don't have to fess up then don't there is no point in even taking a small risk just to feel good about your honesty.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  18. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

...and hiding it doesn't further his IT career, should they decide that they'd rather keep him in IT than lose him permanently at some point. Since they've already offered him a job doing a different role, it's not likely that they'll tell him to "get lost" simply because he reveals that he wants to stay in IT. In my opinion, the reward of trying to stay in an IT role there outweighs the small risk that they'll tell him to go. If he feel that there's a high risk that they'll let him go, then he should certainly weigh that risk against the potential reward of continuing in an IT role... I just don't think there's a large risk of him being let go for revealing that he wants to stay in IT.

EDIT: I think it depends on how you decide to phrase it... I wouldn't come out and say, "Dude, my resume is hitting the Internet TODAY." I'd be saying something like, "I am looking to stay in IT, preferably with this company. I would hope that you would reconsider your position and keep me on, at least on a part-time basis in the IT department. Might there be an opportunity to work half time checking stock and half time in IT?"

Thus, you have informed them that you intend to continue in IT, regardless of whether they keep you in their IT department or not, and given them every opportunity to retain you in that role. Otherwise, it should be clear to the employer that if they don't keep you in IT, they'll likely lose you at some point.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  19. michael78

we will have to agree to disagree on this one...:D