Just Had My Interview with BT

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by laup, Jun 21, 2007.

1. laup

laup Byte Poster

I got to say i've never felt so interegated in all my life.
    Was asked to give basicly a 15 minute talk through my Record of Achievment. During that time i was basicly stopped every minute to explain in more detail about the certain subject.

I was then asked certain questions like "how have you prepared for this interview" & "Do you know how BT shares are doing" along with "Whats the latest BT Product thats all the hype right now"

Funniest two i thought was "Describe a situation where you have been part of a team of people, who together had to achieve a task. How would you describe your contribution?"

"Please think of a task or goal that was complicated to achieve. Describe how you decided what needed to be done, identified what help you needed and how you carried it out. If you could do this again, what improvements would you make?"

The Interview lasted basicly 2 hours, I was totally unprepared for an interview like that. Interviews in the past have been nothing like this.

Towards the 2nd hour things were running smoothly so i guess it went ok, First of all i was a nervous, sweating wreck lol.

I say are most big corporate companys using brutal interview techniques???

Certifications: IC3,A+, N+, 70-270, CCNA
    WIP: CCDA/Job :>
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Wow! Two hours! That is brutal. Some of those questions are normal such as how you would work in a team and so on. I've never been asked if I knew how a company' stock was doing or what it's latest product was, but it just goes to show you that you are expected to do some research on your end.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

ouch 2 hours!!! no wonder you were sweating. Hope you get it after all that. Funnny, I just applyed online for a job with BT openreach. Anyway, fingers crossed for you.:D

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

longest I had was an hour and a quarter. I dont even think the interview I had which offered me my new job beat that.

2 hours is a bit of a beast. although it depends on the environment I suppose. If it turns into a bit of a chat with the interviewers (never think it becomes informal, but it can look like that) it could well go on for quite a while.

Good luck mate.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

I hope you get the job. Good luck, mate.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  6. Amine

Amine Byte Poster

2 Hours !!! what's the job in offer laup?

WIP: Exchange
  7. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I hope all your effort is rewarded :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  8. Morne Louw

Morne Louw Byte Poster

ouch two hours

Certifications: ECDL, OCN Level 2 HTML, A+,MCDST,70-270
    WIP: MCSA/MCSE
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The best jobs I've had have come with the hardest/longest interviews. However, I haven't ever been asked about shares or "latest products"...

Best of luck!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. laup

laup Byte Poster

It was for a BT Apprentiship of all things.

Well i hope i get the job anyhow it's exactly what i want too.

Wish me luck :biggrin

11. klospros

klospros Nibble Poster

ooh im glad my interview with them was not that long, my worse question was to describe a situation where i gave good customer service, good luck and i hope u get it m8:)

Certifications: A+ 2006, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSE
  12. laup

laup Byte Poster

Yeah i had the exact same question also. Quite tricky for on the spot aren't they lol

13. laup

laup Byte Poster

Well i just found out by email that i didn't get the job, seems i made a total mess of those behavoir questions.

I am really gutted as i was hoping to be able to continue a Cisco career.

14. BosonMichael

Is that what they told you, or is that what you're assuming? Perhaps they simply found someone more qualified for the job... that happens, ya know?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  15. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Sorry to hear about that, but I cannot see why that would stop you being able to continue a cisco career?

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  16. laup

laup Byte Poster

I assume thats what happen mike, I find it hard to believe someone actually applyed that was more certified than me for this apprentice role!
    But there is still a chance i know, personally i now think the interview went quite badly.

Iv'e emailed my interviewer to find out where things went wrong so i can work on them untill my next big interview.

@ wizard where i live there only really 3 companys that deal with corporate networks, ive had interviews for 2 of them BT being one of them.

Now all thats left is Cable & Wireless to try.

17. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Sorry to hear that Laup, I had a few interviews my self and they never last that long, the longest interview I had which is for the position that I am doing now was 40 minutes long.

The interviewers also asked pretty good questions and they expected a well elaborated response in return. They also asked me if I knew anything about their company and how they operated.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  18. BosonMichael

I didn't say someone "more certified"... I said someone more qualified.

IT's very competitive. I don't doubt for a moment that there could have been someone with more experience applying for that job. Someone experienced who's been out of work for a number of weeks will apply for just about any IT job to put bread on the table.

19. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

whilst I've never had an interview last 2 hours they are the type of questions that I've come across in interviews (apart from how are the shares doing :blink for the company). One job I went for I had to go to 3 interviews spanning about 2-3 months which was a joke and I didn't bloody get the job in the end.

Shame you didn't get the job mate but as I say one door shuts another one opens...

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  20. Crito

Crito Banned

You would have been out of there in 20 minutes if it had gone that badly.

The IT market is flooded with labor, much of it imported from overseas. Perhaps they simply found someone equally as qualified that was cheaper and more subservient... that happens quite frequently, ya know. :dry

That said, the "what does our company do/sell" question is a very common one. Always a good idea to browse the company's website beforehand and read any current press releases. You might even find something unexpected like a history of shady accounting practices or SEC fines for stock option shenanigans. :blink Those make for great counter-questions when at the end they inevitably say, "so is there anything you'd like to ask us?" :twisted: hehe

It's their loss. Don't lose any sleep over it. :wink:

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none