Just had an interview

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by LukeP, Feb 1, 2010.

1. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

So last week on sunday night I saw job advert for IT Administrator position which I applied for. Day later agency came back to me saying they want to put my CV forward for the job. Day later (tuesday) they rang me back with good news - interview, Monday 1st of Feb.

I have to say agency was the best one I was dealing with up to date. No fake calls, straight on the point and very helpful. They've also sent me full job description, interview tips, company background information. So everything you could expect from a decent agent, really. (it's Merlin Resources - http://www.merl.co.uk in case anyone's interested).

Position is really what I'm doing now but involves bit more Exchange administration and plans for SharePoint deployment for the upcoming year. Sweet. It's bit less money but walking distance from home as opposed to 70 mile round trip every day (savings on fuel :D ).

Interview went quite well. There was 6 candidates including me (not at the same time of course).
    It started really how I was hoping it will. First question asked was how I got the interest in IT and when was it. I had an answer ready for this, which was something along the lines:
    "When kids are 14, they have different dream jobs in mind, one wants to be a fireman, another wants to be a police officer, I always wanted to be a database administrator." (which is actually true)

That made everyone laugh and from this point it was more of an informal chat about me and the company.
    Another question I had:

Q: What would you do if you came across a problem you've never experienced before.
    A: Google (good answer, made everyone laugh and IT Manager said he does the same)

Overall I am pleased how I coped with the stress and with the interview in general. I don't think I could do much more. I was well prepared. I showed them few missing links on their website. I knew their background inside out and generally they were very impressed. I was told they'll get back to me tomorrow. Wish me luck :D

Thanks.

I needed to share

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That's the only "right" answer. It is a rare day indeed that I don't hit the 'ole Googletron.

Best of luck on the job. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Hopefully it all works out - Good luck...

4. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

... and I got the job. :D:D:D

5. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Awesome work fella, well done!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  6. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

Congrats :)!

Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  7. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Respect dude!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  8. loca1hero

loca1hero Byte Poster

Amazing! Well done :thumbleft all the best in the new environment . . hope you settle in well mate. :p
    I had to say Amazing there because you've landed a job in matter of days, were it could take weeks for some of them to come back with the outcome.

Certifications: Network+ (004), MCP, see signature
    WIP: MCITP & few oths.Cisco aft sum XPri
  9. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Congrats on the job. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  10. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Thanks all.

Happy happy days

11. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Congrats, mate :thumbleft

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  12. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Well done....have fun :)

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  13. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Well done - Congratulations...

14. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Congrats:) and well done.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Just saw this. Congrats! :)

17. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Congrats, I found out yesterday that I've been short listed for a second interview.

Congrats on the job, quick turn around too.

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  18. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Good to hear and best wishes:) sure you'd give it your best shot. Tip! Show enthusiasm and keen interest and don't be afraid to ask if they have any reservations regarding your experience and potentials.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  19. singe1642

singe1642 Bit Poster

Heaps of congratulations you guys, you've just given me my confidence back to pursue my IT career.:D

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
    WIP: CompTIA A+ Essentilas
  20. gochieng

gochieng Bit Poster

In addition, what did you put in your CV which you think attracted them to shortlist you.
    Gochieng

Certifications: MCP, MCDBA
    WIP: MCSE