Just got my first IT job!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by rickjames, Feb 23, 2012.

1. rickjames

rickjames Bit Poster

At a school where a member on here used to work, funnily enough!

But CRB checks pending and sending a formal offer in the post I'm good! Considering I don't have any certifications (doing my A+ exams at the end of March) and only a little bit of experience (at a school, funnily enough) it shows that if you want something you can get it.

2. andylad9

andylad9 Byte Poster

congrats

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | 70-680 | 70-685 | MTA Server
    WIP: deciding now...
  3. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Back of the net.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Congrats mate :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Congratulations:beers2

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  6. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Congrats! You've earned it - don't forget to keep pursuing your A+ 8)

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  7. Cunningfox

Cunningfox Byte Poster

Congratz :).

Certifications: CCNP, CCNA, MCP
    WIP: ??
  8. rickjames

rickjames Bit Poster

Cheers all! Any more tips ahead of my big first day! Hopefully next week I think.

9. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Don't touch the sixth formers! and remember schools can be even more political than the UN, keep your head down ;)

Senior management always comes first and make sure you test and test again. Make sure your users are informed and assemblies are setup in advance + tested with materials required. Cover your own ass.

Always be professional with students and don't get to fammiliar with any. Go to the staff room, get to know people and get friends in high places 'networking' as they say. Once this happens you might get to go on schools trips :) I got on a school ski trip to Austria for a week for 100 quid

Try not to get pigeon holed into being a School Tech forever. On that topic make sure you dont become the 'toner changer guy', dont get stuck into doing 1st line, make sure you get involved with projects and higher level stuff if you can.

Apart from that Schools are a great starting point, soak up the knowledge and get somebody mentoring you in the techy ways.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
    Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  10. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

1. Be the busy guy, always offer support as the teachers will love you for it.
    2. Expect to be called 'Sir', pupils stand up when you walk in and teachers to call you by your surname.
    3. When troubleshooting, always do the obvoius first (ie: batteries, power, cabling...). The pupils play pranks and the teachers only know how to teach (even the IT teachers!)
    4. You'll be involved with a lot of mini-projects, most that will swing wayyyy past your head. Ask questions, try to pick up and get involved.
    5. Enjoy the office! You'll wish you had ear-defenders (you'll know what I mean)
    6. Have fun 8)

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010