Just a quickie

Discussion in 'Network+' started by aestudiar, May 8, 2010.

1. aestudiar

aestudiar Byte Poster

Does anyone know whether this is any good?
    myITcertificationlab: Network+

I started reading Myers book yesterday, and now understand the ISO OSI seven layers. Nice book.
    There is another book coming out at the end of Augus (by then I will have finished Myers'):
    CompTIA Network+ (N10-004) Cert Guide (Certification Guide) (Hardcover)

Any recommendations?
    :D

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Don't know. The Myeres book should do you fine.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. aestudiar

aestudiar Byte Poster

But...GreenBruceLee, I think you posted recently that it's better not to rely on only one source... it was your post that motivated me the 10% extra and ask for a second good book as prep for the exam...:eek:

[From 'I need some help Please']: "the seventh edition for the A+ and fourth for N+ are the current ones.

YOu actually need to understand what your learning and practice. Your not just doing these to pass 3 exams your studying to gain valuable skills that you will use in your IT career.

It is not wise just to have one study material as was mentioned earlier on.Why not visit the compTIA website to see what the objectives are (BTW the books will tell you too)."

Last edited: May 8, 2010
  4. greenbrucelee

Sorry I meant to put his passport book is good for revision after you read the fourth edition all in one guide.

5. aestudiar

aestudiar Byte Poster

Does the content change much?

6. greenbrucelee

The passport books are condensed versions of the all in one books they are used for revision so the material is condensed into shorter chapters & note form.

7. aestudiar

aestudiar Byte Poster

I can condense the book myself. :biggrin
    I'd rather get another source book to go through the whole contents of the exam requirements.
    Any particular suggestion/s?
    Cheers.

8. greenbrucelee

THe sybex one might be ok although never used it myself. Exam cram always do good stuff.

9. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

Mike Meyers is great but I also prefer for a secondary resource to be written by another author. Either course technologies, Jean Andrews is one of the authors, or Sybex books would be fine as secondary resources for either the A+ or the Net+. Those are publishers or authors that I have at least some experience reading. That along with liberal use of google, watching the professor messer videos, practicing with the subnetting games on the cisco site, and using some of the other subnetting sites that can be found around here should be more than enough to put you in a good spot for passing.

There's nothing that says you have to but I would start with the A+ then some of the things you learn there will help you out in the net+.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  10. mesob

mesob Bit Poster

Myers book is one which I had used and I found it really nice, if u cover the book nicely am sure u ll pass with flying colours. Trainsignal videos are really good but the problem is they r expensive comparing to the books.

Certifications: BSc A+ N+ MCP
    WIP: MCSA, CCNA, Server+, Security+
  11. aestudiar

aestudiar Byte Poster

This one:
    Mike Meyers' CompTIA Network+ Guide to Managing and Troubleshooting Networks Lab Manual, Second Edition (Paperback)

is by Meyers too, though it's lab based. Does anyone know it?

12. aestudiar

aestudiar Byte Poster

Uh, and another thing, I don't seem to find any sybex's network+ books for the current edition of the exam...

13. aestudiar

aestudiar Byte Poster

I've also seen and added it to my Amazon's wishlist:
    CompTIA Network+ (N10-004) Cert Guide (Certification Guide) (Hardcover)

It will be released in August, by then I should have finished both A+ and Network+ (both by Meyers) and be ready for it, but I'm awaiting judgement on which book is the BEST by my fellow geeks. :D