Jury Service

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by craigie, Dec 9, 2008.

1. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I was called up for Jury Service a while ago, but was allowed a certain time period of grace due to being in a new job.

Well, that time has now gone and I will be performing this public duty in the first week of January.

Had a bit of a shock when HR came back to me recently, our company does not pay you for Jury Service. Apparently, they do not have to by law (but most companies do as a sign of good will).

So let alone, am I helping out the country I'm going to be out of pocket for doing so as.

Most cases last upto two weeks and you recieve £61.28 per day as shown in the allowances

Even though the company I work for has offered some pretty good career progression, I'm starting to get a bit miffed with:

1. No Pension
    2. Minimum Holiday Allowances (20 days plus Bank Holidays)
    3. No Bonuses
    4. Statutory Maternity & Paternity Pay
    5. Cancelling XMas Party allowance for staff and then releasing a trading update with record profits and increased shareholder dividends.

Anyway I have already made alot of money and could afford to come into IT due to this. However for other people who have not achieved the same level this kind of public service could put them in dire straits.

**Rant off**, I know I'm lucky to have a job, but sometimes things can feel a little one sided.

OK, I feel better now :twisted:

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  2. piccadilly

piccadilly Byte Poster

I thought it was law that companies had to abide by.

I'm disgusted by your company's attitude to public service. Surely all companies should support our public duty?

My wife got called twice to do jury duty; her company had put alot of work on her, she had to cancel twice. After the second time, they never got back to her again!

3. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Well i suppose its like a paid holiday, in future say you are descriminate of everyone of race, gender, religion and sexual orientation, see if they use you then lol

But yeah, what a tight fisted company you work for, sounds like the company in the Dilbert cartoons.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Don't feel too bad, especially in this climate

Well at our place, we have a pension scheme, but we pay into this. Have you thought about a private pension scheme?

Welcome to the club, however after 5 years our A/L goes up :)

Again, welcome to the club :(

Not sure on Maternity pay, but Paternity pay at our place is 1 week full pay another week at Statutory pay.

We have a small get together at the end of the year which includes a buffet, no party as such.

Now a days companies try to get away with the bare minimum that they can get away with.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/scotland/your_rights/legal_system_scotland/jury_service_scotland.htm

Its not a legal requirement. Its a nicety that some companies choose to give you.

In our work, we get an annual bonus (and occassionaly "topup" bonuses for work above and beyond). An Annual payrise, about 25 days holiday (+ Public holidays).

They tried to cancel our Christmas do one year due to budget issues, but the Senior Management guys hammered them for it, so its never happened again.

There are ****e aspects to it, but I like where I work. So much so that I came back. Sounds like you are getting a rough deal. If you arent happy, start looking elsewhere.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  6. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I believe that even thought you pay into the Pension Scheme working for the Education Sector means you are most likely on a Final Salary Scheme.

As a Financial Advisor, I worked out that for someone on approximately £30K per year, on a Final Salary Scheme, would need to pay in the equivalent of £1000 Net into a Private Pension Scheme to get the same resulting pension.

Do I have a Private Pension Scheme, indeedy :D

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  7. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Today, has been a strange turn of events.

I recieved an update from a Team Leader stating that HR have now agreed to pay me for my Jury Service (well they will make the difference up from whatever I loose).

How bizarre!

8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Good, its the right thing to do.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs