Juniper

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by simongrahamuk, Mar 10, 2006.

1. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Ok, so not exactly a Cisco question, but thought I'd put it in here anyway.

Has anyone had any dealing with Juniper kit?

I ask because I'd never heard of them, but I was speaking to someone today who has started using their switches and says that they are pretty good.

I did a bit of looking about, and aparently these guys are second only to Cisco when it comes to networking. If thats the case, why hadn't I heard of them before?

:blink

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

We have a fair amount of Juniper kit.

In the right circles they are known, but it is Cisco who seem to be known to all and sundry!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

they even have certs!! good ones too apartently!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. Jellyman_4eva

Jellyman_4eva Byte Poster

Hi,

I was in the same boat as you about not knowing of Juniper, but at my new place it is a Juniper device that handles our Secure VPN...

Look quite good...

But I think they are one of the many, you must have seen a piece of hardware to know of them kind of company..

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP-EDST/EDA/EA/SA/ MCSA 2K3/2K8, MCSE+M 2K3/2K8, ISA/TMG, VCP3/4, CCNA, Exchange, SQL, Citrix, A+, N+, L+, Sec+, Ser+, JNCIA-SSL, JNCIS-SSL
    WIP: Lots
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

It's just going to be another box with another name on it. There are many manufacturers out there, most of which are good.

I like the name Billion myself :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

yep, we have some juniper boxes.
    first we have a few netscreens as part of our firewall solution. then, we also have some peribit boxes between remote sites for better traffic control, and some neoteris boxes for vpn access. peribit and neoteris have both been bought by juniper, so i guess they can be categorized as juniper boxes now. if only juniper would buy packeteer as well. :rolleyes:
    most of our internal routers and switches are cisco, though.

7. GW

GW Byte Poster

Juniper kit is more expensive than Cisco gear is. For security related devices more and more companies are switching from Cisco to Juniper for their security device needs. The company I work for just finished upgrading all of our data centers to Juniper firewalls replacing all of the other various brands firewalls that we had.

The certifications are very well vauled because they are very hard, several people I talked including CCIE's suggested getting the CCNP first before going for the Juniper entry level certification because it is just that difficult to pass.

GW

Certifications: MCP x4, CompTia x3
    WIP: Cisco CCNA
  8. Brizzad

Brizzad New Member

Juniper are great firewalls whereas Cisco are great routers.

Check it...

link

9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Spot on link Brizzard that article sums up the original question perfectly 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)