Junior Network role CV

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by BraderzTheDog, Apr 26, 2012.

1. BraderzTheDog

BraderzTheDog Kilobyte Poster

Hello CF! :)

After recently attaining my ICND1, im looking to possibly start a new role within my current company possibly a secondment to networks. However if things don't pan out so well maybe a jump of ship to a junior networking job. So I've updated my CV with my new certs and I feel its much better than my old one. Any body possibly help me include the right things? Point out possible flaws in my Resume? All constructive criticism is welcome!

Thanks as always,
    Regards
    Brad.

P.S, its a word doc converted to 2003 standard also if you don't have the current version of office 8)

Attached Files:

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA-SEC, CCSA, JNCIA FWV, MCITP, MCTS, MTA, A+
  2. Ambushed

Ambushed Nibble Poster

Looks good, im in the same situation as you.

How old are you if you don't mind me asking

Certifications: MCTS, MCP, MCSA
    WIP: MSCD
  3. BraderzTheDog

Yes, its not the best place to be but at least im working, im 17 which makes things even more difficult!

4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Ok, I'll bite.

Generally, the layout of the CV is pretty good. However, here are my suggestions.

Add your job title to your employment history (I have mine directly underneath the Company). I want to see at a glance what you were actually employed as.

Cut your job description from a wall of text (nothing is more sure to switch someone off reading it), to a bulleted list of responsibilities. You can have a (very) brief intro to the job title if you want, but not more than a couple of sentences.

I'd probably include dates on your certifications, so we can see when you obtained them (the year would be sufficient).

I'm no fan of hobbies on a cv. As far as I'm concerned, my CV is documentation of my professional abilities and experience. If they want to know what I do in my spare time, they can ask at interview. This might not be such an issue for you at the moment, but as your employment history grows, it would be the first thing I'd drop.

Lose everything after "References". References available on request is a basic expectation. You dont need to waste space mentioning it. Equally, thanking them for considering your application is pointless in your CV. If that goes anywhere, it will be in your cover letter.

You might also want to consider dropping the logo's. If you pass your CV to an agency, they will be dropped anyway, and whilst they look fine now, as you gain more certs, you may be tempted to keep adding the logos to your CV, ending up with a cluttered mess.

Finally, I firmly hold that personal pro-nouns in a CV are terrible. About the only place I would let it pass, is the Personal Profile (and even then I dont like it). This ties into the bulleted list of responsibilities, but I'm not interested in reading your life story, or the story of your time at Plusnet. All I (and employers) care about, is: do you have the skills to do this job, and what have you been responsible for in the past.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. BraderzTheDog

Good points made, ill take them on board... I think that was just what I needed to put the finishing touches to the CV.

Thanks!

6. mitufrim

mitufrim Bit Poster

what will you be doing in your new job in your current company is it offical?

7. BraderzTheDog

I'm looking to be seconded into the networking team, however since I'm working for an ISP, I have seen there setup and looks like there using the mother of all switches I believe the 6500 series which i know they wont let me touch with a barge pole... however if things don't work out in my current job where I don't get offered a secondment I shall possibly look to work for another company in a branch office with a few switches and routers :)

8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

This will probably be managed from head office though.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs