Junior Network Engineering / Support roll interview tips?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by BraderzTheDog, Jun 12, 2012.

1. BraderzTheDog

BraderzTheDog Kilobyte Poster

Hello,

I've managed to land an interview this week for a very respectable company and am really looking forward to the interview. I have already passed the first interview that was very basic and they have invited me to a second phase.

Above all I would just like some pointers? Apart from all the basic stuff like company research and why I want to work for them... What other areas would you say I should come across passionate / strong on at interview? This is where I've wanted to be for such a long time and this could be my break, how can I seal the deal?

Regards,
    Brad.

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA-SEC, CCSA, JNCIA FWV, MCITP, MCTS, MTA, A+
  2. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

They will want to know you are keen to learn - possibly on their time as well as your own. So highlight the self study you have done to get this stage, and your personal study goals you have in place already.

Also be prepared to answer some technical questions, at least to the level you are certified to , but if you say you have been studying for the ICND2, they may throw some questions at that level to guage how far along you are.

Other than that, absorb the job description and make sure you can highlight areas where your current experience matches up, with some examples of work you have done to show this.

Good luck!

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  3. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

I was recently succesful in getting my first IT job and i feel that some of the goods things i said in the interview which helped me be succesful was:

- Pointing out that your a quick learner and your really looking to progress and continue with your self study.
    - Explain to them what exams your looking to do next
    - I spoke alot about how interested i was in the service the company provides and how i wanted to be a part of it.
    - MOST importantly know your stuff. If its anything like the 1st and 2nd interviews i had at the company im now at they grilled me big time. But luckily i had recentyly sat my Network+ and could still remember alot of the answers to the questions from that such as port numbers etc.

Good luck, let us know how you get on!

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  4. BraderzTheDog

Thanks for the advice,

Managed to seal the deal and land the job! Hahaha, never in a million years thought I would be saying this...

Thank you very much for the tips and I did as Dan stated; show my enthusiasm to learn and my willingness to self study in with me and walked away a winner!

Thanks alot CF :)

SiFor and danielno8 like this.
  5. jvanassen

Well done mate!! Great feeling isnt it. Go out and celebrate!

6. BraderzTheDog

Oh you bet! The feeling of finally being able to work 9 - 5 as a pose to 3.30 - 12pm will also be big relief. Glass of wine for me, nothing expensive possibly blossom hill :)

7. jvanassen

I know exactly what your saying lol, i started my first IT job last wednesday and am absolutly loving it.

8. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Well done! Enjoy :)

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  9. aushus

aushus Kilobyte Poster

how much will your salary be and what will you be doing?

10. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Congrats Brad,

Which company out of interest?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  11. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

@Bradzer: Congrats

Hopefully Bradzer will PM you this bit of info. Never a good idea to advertise who you work for online, unless you're a spammer (erm... I mean in marketing) of course.

@Aushus: I know it's different in other cultures, but here in the UK it's considered a bit rude to ask people how much they earn unless you know them well. Just so you don't get offended if you're question doesn't get answered.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  12. BraderzTheDog

Its based up in Leeds which is quite convenient for me being a 'norferner' ,doing Network and Security based support. In regards to how much money I earn, well its not alot but I consider the experience is of paramount importance over money. Having quals without experience is pointless. I have the quals and now comes the experience... Money can come later when my skills have been developed more :)

Speculate to Accumulate is what I think its called. Please correct me if im wrong, don't laugh... :)