Junior Helpdesk Analyst?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Arroryn, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Boo!!

Okay, so I've just seen a job on www.reed.co.uk in Milton Keynes, which is the area of the country I'm hoping to move to.

It's for a Junior Helpdesk Analyst. Now, I think I'm pretty comfortable knowing what 1st/2nd/3rd line support are meant to do. But what does a Helpdesk Analyst do (don't say analyse the helpdesk), and what career progression could someone expect from that?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

Well my job title is IT Support Analyst, which = 1st line support.
    Reckon Helpdesk Analyst is the same thing spelt differently :D

Career progression? Not sure as I've been doing this 9 months now so no progression as of yet.
    Excellent way to build up experience & knowledge though.*

* - proclaimer: I work in a smallish IT dept. of 14 people (6 on helpdesk) & so work very closely with the developers/2nd line & managers/3rd line; and tend to pick up a lot from these guys.
    Not sure what it would be like in a larger company where communication lines are more formalised (I'm guessing a bit here so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!)

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)
  3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Sounds like a good answer to me Wonderboy (sorry, just read your sig :oops: )

Job seems to be through an agency, so I'd like to bet the company is rather large, and has a large throughput of staff. I just need a foot on the ladder. The biggest pluses for this job are that the salary could be relative to what I'm on now, and they don't specify what experience you need.

How are you finding support? Is it the frustrating grind a lot of people make it out to be, or are they the distruntled masses shouting a lot loudly than others? Were you experienced, and so on, when you went for the job?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

Actually got the job through an agency (thanks CWJobs :) )
    - the agency contacted me after seeing my CV on their website & matched me to the job.

I had no previous IT experience but had been building & playing around with computers for around 10 years. Rather luckily I'd also temped in their accounts department about 12 months previously & had impressed then (I think), which no doubt helped.

I'm actually really enjoying it. However this is aided by the fact that it's all in-house support so most of the work is in the same building/city, plus some depots around the country.
    This means we tend to deal with the same people/friends repeatably.
    Also, our manager allows us to manage ourselves so it's pretty relaxed, as long as we pull our weight.

There's a guy joined us recently who used to work for a large helpdesk company, and he certainly seemed to find that a frustrating grind, although at this point I'm guessing again.

A lot of it can come down to patience, like when you're helping someone who's asking you where the Shift key is...

Oh, and you can call me Wonderboy as much as you like! 8)

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Well done Gaz, best of luck in your new chosen career :thumbleft

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

disclaimer

I can be a prick... :D