Jumper pins on SATA hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by itbookham, Aug 24, 2010.

1. itbookham

itbookham Nibble Poster

Hello,

I have recently replaced a SATA hard drive in a Pavilion G7000 (G7040EM) laptop. The new hard drive which I bought from Laptopbits has four jumper pins at the side. When inserting the new hard drive the jumper pins penetrate to about 2-3mm of what looks to be a small square green polysterene pad stuck to the laptop. There are two of these pads either side of the SATA ports in the laptop.

Presumably the jumper pins penetrating the pad will not be a problem? And what are these pads for?

The laptop functions quite normally.

Many thanks.

WIP: A+
  2. simonp83

simonp83 Kilobyte Poster

Might be related to changing between sata1 mode and sata2 mode?

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP
    WIP: 70-291
  3. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

Indeed, don't know what brand/make it is but this is from the Seagate website:

About them pushing against a pad on the inside, I wouldn't worry about it :)

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  4. Shizzle

Shizzle Bit Poster

Thanks simon.

We were taught in the A+ that there are no jumpers so when i read this it caught my eye really quick. Good to know this bit though. Seagates' claim that this is only for factory use is a bit far reaching considering that it is only to change SATA modes and can be done by the end user if problems arise. I cant see anybody sending this off the the factory but then again not all people are into doing stuff themselves and may see this as a bit too technical.