Jumped in and Bought Mike Meyers books

Discussion in 'A+' started by Rambottie, May 26, 2005.

1. Rambottie

Rambottie New Member

Hi..
    Been looking to do the A+ and N+ courses. Booked in with Scheidegger but thought they looked a bit dodgy after some research so cancelled.
    Looked around for A+ and N+ courses but couldnt find anything that would fit in with my work so decided to go the self teach route.
    I am fairly comfortable with building pc's and installing windows o/s and also have a spare pc to play around with..
    After reading up on this forum i decided to go with the Mike Meyers books A+ and N+ all in one exam guides. £53 from Amazon.
    Just wondering if there are any tips you guys can give me for doing this work ie. handy tools to pick up, equipment that will be useful etc...

I am almost certain that this will be my first of many posts on this subject so watch out :biggrin

WIP: CCNA/CCNP
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Hi Rambottie. You've come to the right place. Since you seem to have some experience working inside PCs, you probably have some ideas about what tools you'd need. The Meyers book does a good job of letting you what you need but it doesn't require much to start out with.

You probably have the most essential tools at hand which would be a flat head and phillips screwdrivers. I never even bought an ESD strap until one contract job I took insisted that we use one when opening their servers. You can equalize the static potential between you and the machine before sticking your hand inside by touching the metal frame.

I'd say just go through the Meyers book and start following the lessons. He lays it out in a pretty straight-forward manner. As you read and start working with your "lab" PC, questions will come up. That's what we're here for. Cheers.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Rambottie

Rambottie New Member

Thanks Tripwire.
    If Amazon keep to their word I should have the books tomorrow or Saturday. Going away working next week so should have plenty of time in evenings to get stuck into them..
    Will let you all know how I get on.. :rolleyes:

WIP: CCNA/CCNP
  4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Welcome to the club and good luck.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685