Joining Computer to Domain - Help!

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by PaulC, Oct 9, 2006.

1. PaulC

PaulC Nibble Poster

I've been going through the 290 stuff and decided I'd try to connect one of my computers to the domain I'd set up. It's setup with the default name 'contoso' (yes, I'm using the MS Press books!). I've created computer accounts in active directory. I've gone to the client machines, changed the setting to domain, entered the name and entered my credentials (I'm using an account with full admin and domain admin rights) and it then just sits for ages and comes back with:

"The Specified Server Can't Perform The Requested Operation"

Anyone any ideas?

Certifications: MCDST;MCSA: Messaging;MCSE
    WIP: CCENT
  2. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

Is your DC also a DNS server for it own zone (or is there another name server for the zone)?
    If so, have you configured your client to use the relevant server as its DNS server?

More relevantly, check to make sure the server (and I'm assuming you have only one DC) is holding all the FSMO roles and that they're functioning.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  3. PaulC

PaulC Nibble Poster

Thanks for the reply. I set up the Server via the wizard as prompted in the 290 book, so I'm hoping all the DNS etc are correct. The server is set as 192.168.0.1 and named server 001. I've set the clients to get DNS off this IP and I can ping both the IP and the name. The server also has DHCP setup as well.

I've not got as far as knowing what the FSMO roles are yet, but I've googled them and the server is holding all 5 roles. How do I check if they're functioning?

Just to let you know as well, the whole setup is run through a router. So I've one router where the internet is connected to (set as IP 192.168.0.254) this also doles out DHCP addresses as well. The server and client machines are plugged into this router, but there doesn't seem to be any connectivity issues. Could this possibly be causing a conflict?

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You should only have one DHCP source in this example. DNS on your server should have forwarders configured to point to your ISPs DNS servers.

Also you don’t have to configure the computer accounts first in AD. When you add the computer to the domain it will be put in the computers container automatically.

Do an ipconfig on a PC, you should have contoso.local as the domain suffix, if not it looks like you are getting an I.P from your router. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I agree with the others, this type of issue is usually DNS related.

Do an IPCONFIG /ALL on the client and post the output here.

The DC should point to itself as the DNS server.

You can also go to the command promt on the DC and type DCdiag /Test:DNS

Learn more here

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. PaulC

PaulC Nibble Poster

Not done this, I've set up the gateway in DHCP to the my router but not this. Will do this tonight.

I'll check all the configs tonight, I expect that it is pulling an IP from the router even though I thought I set it not to. I'll give you a list of the ipconfig results if I can't get it working.

I suppose this is what happens when you go straight into 290 which doesn't tell you how to set this up properly and says that if you follow the wizard you shouldn't have any issues :D

7. Sparky

I dont think you will be able the configure the client to pick a DHCP server, it will broadcast for a DHCP source and the first suitable source will allocate an IP address.

Perhaps post the Ipconfig /all details ? 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well the book assumes that you do not have a rouge DHCP server on your LAN :biggrin

9. PaulC

PaulC Nibble Poster

Right, so far I've got the following:

The router everything connects to, which acts as DHCP dishes out IPs 192.168.0.1 -> 192.168.0.254. The gateway (router) is set as 254.

I've configured the servers DHCP to throw out 192.168.100.1 to 192.168.100.254 and I've set it's DNS lookup to itself (127.0.0.1) and the router IP as 192.168.0.254.

The server is set as a static IP of 192.168.0.1.

The server Ipconfig results are:
    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : server001
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : contoso.com
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : contoso.com
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.254
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 127.0.0.1

Last night, the client I tried to connect at least allowed me to enter the domain 'contoso' then enter the admin credentials to join it but then gave the error in my initial post.

At that time, it was getting the IP from the router and was configured as :
    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : lclient01
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . :
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.4
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

I've also tried setting the client to a static IP and used one from the server range, but then it can't find the domain controller.

Ipconfig /all results for client:
    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : lclient01
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . :
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.100.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

I've tried removing and changing things like gateways on the client to the server IP, removing any reference to 192.168.0.254 etc.. but to no avail. I take it from the missing primary dns suffix it's not picking something up correctly.

There's nothing like learning on the fly is there!!

10. Sparky

Is the bold bit a typo? :blink

Im surprised your router is able to give your servers I.P as a DNS server. Also remove 192.168.0.254 from the DNS on your servers LAN settings. Enter your ISPs DNS server I.Ps in the forwarders Tab in DNS.

Disable DHCP on the router and test.

11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Okay we need to stop the clients using your routers DHCP, so I suggest if you can't disable it, you should forget DHCP and configure the client manually for now.

The server should have a fixed IP anyway.

Set the server to 192.168.0.1 - 255.255.255.0
    DNS server 192.168.0.1 remove the reference to the router for DNS ie (192.168.0.254)
    Default Gateway 192.168.0.254 (router is the default gateway)

Set the client up with a static IP like this..

IP address 192.168.0.10 -255.255.255.0
    DNS server 192.168.0.1
    Default gateway 192.168.0.254

This way your client will query your DNS server which it needs to do for local DNS requests like finding a domain controller to join a domain or log into a domain etc.

In the DNS console on your DC, right click the DNS server > Properties and on the forwarders tab enter your ISPs or other know DNS server addresses. You can either look in your routers configuration ie connection status as they should be listed there or go to their web site and check out the manual settings.

12. PaulC

PaulC Nibble Poster

Hi All again

Right, I've set the server as bluerinse suggested, static IP is 192.168.0.1, subnet 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.0.254 and then points to itself for DNS 192.168.0.1 and also set DNS forwarders for my ISP. This machine can ping everything, connect to internet, resolve IPs to names etc....

The client, again set as bluerinse suggested with a static of 192.168.0.10, subnet 255.255.255.0 and gateway to 192.168.0.254 and DNS of 192.168.0.1. On the client I had to set alternate DNS to 192.168.0.254 or it wouldn't connect to the internet or resolve any internet DNS queries.

Again, try to connect to domain. Enter the domain name, it prompts me for a username and password, enter my logon details as I'm full admin, waits ages and ages then comes back with:

"The Specified Server Can't Perform The Requested Operation"

This has to be the server and a setting on that surely? Anymore ideas?

13. Sparky

You should not have to put 192.168.0.254 as a DNS I.P on the client. It looks like there is a DNS issue on the server which is not forwading the 'real world' DNS requests. Is there anything in the event logs?

Is there a computer account in AD? If so delete it and rename the client PC and then try again.

Edit: on the client PC do Start>Run and then type \\192.168.0.1 do you get a prompt for authentication? If so try the domain admin account

14. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Also make sure you do not have a software firewall running on your DC.

15. PaulC

PaulC Nibble Poster

It has the inbuilt Windows Firewall running, I'll try disabling it later and see what happens.

16. PaulC

PaulC Nibble Poster

17. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Glad to hear it's working Paul, nice work! :biggrin