Jobseeker's Allowance

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Mr.Cheeks, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Chaps - Does anyone know what benefits does One get with they are on the JSA? (dole)???

I looked at here and a few other places but can't find no reference to it... rumours have it that, you can get free eye tests, dental treatment and other stuff aswell??

Is it true?

2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Never having been on the Rock n Roll meself, I can't comment with absolute auhtority - but I do know that when my brother was made redundant he signed on for two months before getting another job specifically so he could get his gnashers done on the NHS. Eye tests I believe are also covered and - if you get Tom & Dick whilst you're on the dole you get free prescriptions

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

My mate was given a grant to buy a suit for interviews, I think he used the money to go backpacking.:x

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  4. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Having been in an out of the ole JSA i know ya get the usual health benefits.. .free eye tests medicals, perscriptions etc. You can claim for travel to and from interviews if its over a certain distance (including overnight stays if needed). I once got a free payment of £180 to get a suit and shoes for an interview but not sure if that was due to the lone parent status as well. I know you may also be allowed to get an allowence for school uniforms for the kids if your a lone parent.

Its a suprise tho what some people reckon they claim for while on JSA or Income suppport. I knew someone who claimed they got a 2nd hand car, someone else got furniture for thier council house etc. I dont know how much of it is true, but i can tell ya there are people round here who dont work, claim JSA and survive much better than i do now. They even get the luxuary of a weeks holiday paid for to go some place like Butlins or haven!

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  5. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

You might get some health benefits on JSA, but don't forget the New Deal approach, whereby they will arrange interviews for you in any job that comes available. You could find yourself going for a cleaner or working in food factory at short noticed. You might not want to do that job, but if decline or don't attend the interview then you will lose your benefit. They have really clamped down in benefit fraud, well in the south thay have8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  6. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

One of my mates got a years AOL service. He told them he needed the net for job searches and sending CV's online and stuff. I think most of the stuff like that is after 6months on dole. The prescriptions are free straight away, and so is the dentist. But for a free eye test you need to be on dole for 6 months (income based i think)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  7. Mr.Cheeks

this is only for like a month (Im thinking positive on myMedical), so i will get my teeth and eyes done...

probably get the docs to give me some health pills aswell (might aswell if there are free!)

8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Cheeks,

I take it the job didn't go ahead, or are you waiting for the start date?

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  9. Mr.Cheeks

they said i have to wait for my medical (jan 15) then wait for the confirmation, hopefully all is well and then my start date will be 5th Feb. see medical thread for further details...

10. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

All the very best mate - you deserve it. Fingers crossed for you :thumbleft

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT