Jobs in the Banking Sector: City of London

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by drum_dude, Jan 4, 2011.

1. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Guys n Gals,

I see some jobs being advertised in the City of London for people with Blomberg experience? It's to do with working in the trading sections and some of the wonga being offered is a hefty amount!

Now...I "may" have a chance to live in London rent free (Sidcup area...I suppose that's actually Kent LOL) and I am considering taking advantage of the fact that I'm young(ish), free and single. I'd like to earn some more money in order to save up a huge pile of money for my future...such as a house for instance with little or no mortgage. It's going to take AGES to do that in my area but judging from City of London salaries I could achieve a hell of a lot more by the age of 46...which is not bad for someone like me who basically p*ssed half his life up the wall and thought that debt meant wealth LOL! Luckily I've grown up a bit and paid off the debts so there has been no dramas at all...just money wasted on Interest when I could have been saving!!

Ok perhaps I won't be cut out for some of these high flying roles but I am looking more and more into IT Security and the Cisco paths. Where I work at the moment I am in charge of a lot of Cisco kit and I feel that some of the newer IT career guys just starting out would actually beat me over the head with a stick if they knew that I was not taking advantage of my current situation!

So after that rather "round the Wrekin" type post, my question(s): has anyone got any advice on working in the City of London? And if so is it a load of crap and the wages are just an illusion with 700 people chasing one job? If not, is there any particular skillset IT wise (I'm not looking to become a Quant LOL) that is worth looking into. I like all aspects of IT but have for too long been the Jack of All Trades but Master of None when it comes to my...well...job!

Cheers Guys n Gals!!!

DD

:biggrin

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  2. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Get as many of the software packages and systems the traders use under your belt. The place I work for now supports quite a few in that area of business, I don't really touch them clients though. Safe to say, the shift at their sites are apparently "Gruelling" to say the least.

I can't for the life of me think what the names are as I've not been in work for 3 weeks so haven't been jogged. The phone systems are another one, bloomberg isn't too hard to master what I see on the tickets.

McBro on here may be able to offer a better insight as I think he's been working with them type of clients a bit.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  3. drum_dude

Hey Cheers WK! I once read on a contractor board that working in the Trading area can be a proper ball breaker with traders screaming at you...then another guy commented that was nonsense...then another said it was true and so on etc! haha!!

The show stopper for moving to London for many of my past collegues was the cost of living i.e. renting a room! One guy I know has relocated to London for a 29k a year job????? And pays 800 a month for a room...he's not working on anything flashy at all just AD, Exchange etc so I was confused to why he moved there and took up what is a low paid infrastructure role?

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
  4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

It actually depends on the kind of trading being carried out as to the ferocity of the trader, if he risks losing millions because one of his screens has failed and you didn't drop everything to fix it then you're **** outta luck (and probably job as well), if you're working at something like a hedge fund then it's a little more laid back (don't get me wrong, it's still lots of money but not so much in your face).

My rule of thumb when it comes to traders is give as good as you get, I once moved an entire floor of traders to a different floor over a weekend, not only did I move them but I also rolled out a new multi monitor setup for them, I finished work at 11pm on Sunday and was back in the office by 8am on the Monday (I actually got home at 1am due to taxies etc). First trader tells me his monitors aren't in the right place, he wants them forward three inches (I should add that these were drilled and mounted to their desks and followed Health and Safety distances).
    My comment to him?? Oh don't mind me having worked all weekend putting this crap together for you, I don't need your thanks, let me move them forward 3 inches for you right now.... his colleagues burst out laughing at him. 10 minutes later he came over, thanked me for working all weekend and moving his monitors.

After that I didn't have a problem with any of the traders because they knew I wasn't scared or intimidated by them.

I would like to add that it can be a very cut throat environment and can get very expensive, whilst living in Sidcup (definitely Kent) you will have to consider the cost of commuting (both monetery and time) as well as other costs (food\drink etc). Also working in London can get expensive from the entertainment perspective (you can find that bar bills get huge if you're not careful).

I have loved working in Investment Banks (on and off I have worked for over 3 years in Investment Banks and I would go back tomorrow if I could) but it's not the be all and end all that it used to be.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. drum_dude

WOW Simon, that is a wealth of execellent info there! Yeah the commutes would be a cost I'd have to consider, however, the main "living" cost will be low. I would deffo pay next to nothing in "rent" which should cancel out a huge chunk that otherwise I'd have to pay.

As for nights out, I've done my bit for the human race if you know what I mean? LOL! I just want to secure my financial future. I have no ties and no immovable objects here to consider...plus I'd be quite close to my daugter too if I were to go ahead with my expedition to the wider world!

Thanks mate! :biggrin