Jobhunt

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by IT2009, May 22, 2010.

1. IT2009

IT2009 Byte Poster

How long have you been looking for job? I 've been looking since January.
    Also which qualifications are going to be in demand in future in IT?

Certifications: MCP, HND Business Information Systems
    WIP: A+
  2. Dave_unemployed

Dave_unemployed Nibble Poster

For me, its coming upto 2months now.

A lot of the job that i seen is asking minimum 1-2 year experience for 1st line support :dry
    there were a few that didn't mentioned any experience but when i contact them they said they have recieved well over 50emails with CV's and that was during the first hour after they posted the job!

So, don't when i will be able to kick start my career :cry: but i do have a public job lined up later this year to keep me going and continue to study/look for job opportuninities.

Dave

Might consider VMware study. Lots of talk about virtualisation.

Last edited: May 22, 2010
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCP and MCDST
    WIP: 70-680
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I had my own business of 12 years (employed 5 people). Went bust in April 2008 and didn't get a job until Jan 2010 so 20 months unemployed. I'm now working as a teacher tho' I do get to teach some IT (mainly Office packages) and I'm also developing a VLE

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Be careful with this, if you go down the VMware route not only do you need to go on a certified vmware course but you are also expected to be able to implement the solutions into the vmware environment. Virtualisation (not just vmware) most definitely isn't for first timers, it's more aimed at the higher end engineers with the experience to implement not just the virtualised platform but any of the required technologies on top of the virtualised platform (that could be sql or exchange clusters or using SAN's for HA or Snapshotting). I certainly wouldn't advise it for someone with only moderate first\second line experience.

Oh and to the OP, in the last 9 months I have only worked 4 of them.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. Len

Len Byte Poster

Since July 2009...

Though, I've been concentrating on just finding general office or retail work until entry level IT clears up(experienced people been taking these positions)...

I get interviews(had about 4 in the last 3 months) no problem for office/retail but it all comes down to ... "sorry, we have someone with more experience than you" Hopefully my latest job interview will get back to me soon :) They wanted my references so... Sounds promising.

Did 6 months of voluntary IT work and only had 1 IT interview so far..

Certifications: BND IT Practitioners
    WIP: Comptia A+
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

A job or an IT job? It took me five years to get my foot into the IT field (many years ago), non-IT based jobs the most it's taken me over the course of my working life is 3 months.

IMO, it's depends in what area of IT you're talking about, plus what position...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security