Job Vacancy - Bespoke Application Support Engineer

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Cunningfox, May 25, 2012.

1. Cunningfox

Cunningfox Byte Poster

The company where I'm currently working (and shortly leaving) are now recruiting for a Bespoke Application Support Engineer which I thought may be of interest to some people here. Note that this was not my job role but I have worked with them and have highlighted what are imo the important most qualities that we are looking for. It's a good role for someone with some tech knowledge moving from perhaps helpdesk to more of a support role and you'll get an introduction into the world of finance. As a bonus it's a great bunch of people to work with (now I'm off anyway ;)) if you have any questions or are interested please drop me a PM.

Bespoke Application Support Engineer

Location of post: Hertfordshire
    Reporting to: Support Manager
    Working Hours: 37.5 hours per week, covering 9:30am – 6pm. Shift pattern may be subject to change.

JOB PURPOSE:
    To provide professional, alert and responsive first and second line support to all clients using the bespoke financial trading platform software. As an Application Support Engineer you will be an integral part of the Support team, providing a service-orientated approach to handling client requests and queries. You will be responsible for investigating all technical queries and ensuring swift and correct resolution of all requests and problems.

MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
    • Manage client systems.
    • Deploy new files/fixes to client systems designed by development department.
    • Manage and maintain MS SQL Server 2005 and 2008.
    • Manage and maintain MS IIS v6.0 and v7.0.
    • Receive, log, analyse and manage all requests from clients. These are currently in the form of telephone calls, emails or work tracking system entries.
    • Investigate problems thoroughly either through communication with the client or by logging into a suitable test environment.
    • Resolve issues directly or by escalation to development staff. At all times remain the “owner” of customer technical issues, seeking to resolve these to the satisfaction of the client.
    • Schedule and host internal meetings with relevant staff to check, follow up and if necessary escalate, all outstanding customer issues and/or requests.
    • Out of Hours support for customer systems, once trained to sufficient standard. This will include cover Public Holidays and weekend software releases. (The rota will alter to reflect staff capacity at the time).
    • Occasional travel within the UK (mainly London) to client sites.
    • To perform other duties as assigned by the manager from time to time.

GENERAL:
    • These duties and responsibilities may be changed in accordance with the needs of the business.
    • This is not intended to be an exhaustive or exclusive list of duties. Application Support Engineers may be required to carry out other associated tasks to ensure the successful delivery of the business objectives.

SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE

Must have:

• Previous experience of bespoke software support.
    • Solid experience of IT support.
    • Good understanding of MS IIS v6.0 and v7.0.
    • Good understanding of MS SQL 2005/2008 inc. backup and restore, log shipping and mirroring experience.
    • Moderate understanding of MS SQL Server Query Analyzer.
    • Good understanding of TCP/IP networking.
    • Good understanding of MS Windows Server 2003 and 2008.
    • Possess a positive, calm personality.
    • Ability to quickly analyse and effectively deal with queries and problems, gleaning as much information from the client as possible.
    • Ability to clearly communicate a client’s requirements to other company personnel.
    • Excellent client-facing communication skills are required, with the ability to understand and communicate issues succinctly and without ambiguity using appropriate technical vocabulary.
    • Knowledge of Microsoft Office products: PowerPoint, Excel, Word and Access.

Desirable:
    • Experience in project co-ordination would be beneficial.
    • Previous Financial experience would be beneficial

Our process is normally a phone interview followed by a face-to-face (with a tech test) and go from there.

Certifications: CCNP, CCNA, MCP
    WIP: ??
  2. Cunningfox

Cunningfox Byte Poster

Thanks SimonV.

Any interested in the above please drop me a PM, don't reply to thread unless it's something general.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
    Certifications: CCNP, CCNA, MCP
    WIP: ??