job update... and CV update..

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Mikeyboy, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Hello everyone...

not posted for a while, been busy in the new job. Just a quick update I guess... been in the job about 2 months now, was in internal IT support in previous place, this one is external customer IT support, so felt like quite a change to me, with actual SLAs etc, felt a lot more pressured, very busy workplace... although I have learned a hell of a lot! Touched technology I had never been exposed to previously, has given me loads of experience already, which is great!

An internal vacancy arose last week, for a field engineer position, which came with company car, mobile, laptop etc... so thought I would just find out about it, was given the job the next day :biggrin with a payrise too! So looking forward to starting that.. will be some interesting prospects in the pipeline with it as well...

My main question really I guess is... Should I put two separate entries on my CV for each position, I didn't bother with the previous place when I was promoted, but it was basically the same job just slightly different title. This one is two different jobs really so thinking I should have entries for both, but perhaps just list start date of when I started there, rather than mention dates for each? Don't want it to look too messy really...

Certifications: VCP,MCSA, MCP, MCDST, MCITP, MCTS, A+, N+
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I normally have a single bolded line detailing the company, with the start and end dates. underneath in italics I list the job title followed by responsibilities.

For different jobs in the same company, the bolded section will appear once, listing the total start and end dates, and I will list each job in the standard format below (detailing individual periods for each job)

One thing to note in the example, is that the dates on the bolded line are right justified (but the forum doesnt render it well).

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. AdamV

AdamV Bit Poster

I was in a similar situation having been an IT sysadmin for about 3 months (no. 2 in a 2-man department) when my manager left and I took over his job (after a couple of months of proving myself up to it).

After five years there, and a couple of mergers and job title changes, those first three months don't really seem so important any more. (I've now left and been running my own business for 6 years, so it really is a long way back in my past and not so relevant to anyone).

Personally I would say if it is with the same firm, in the same department, I would just stick with your current / last job title and keep the original start date.

Anyway, now you've bagged this one you won't be needing to send you CV out to anyone anytime soon, right?

Certifications: MCT, MCSA:Messaging 2003, MCTS:Dynamics CRM 4.0 and 2011; MOS: Master Instructor 2003, 2007
    WIP: Writing CRM 2013 Customization course. Planning to take all CRM 2013 exams ASAP