Job Title

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by c9kay, Jul 4, 2007.

1. c9kay

c9kay Bit Poster

I've been working as a Finance Assistant for the past 7 years, however for that past couple my job has involved a lot of IT stuff.

My work is sending me to college to do HND Technical Support and I'm also about to start my MCDST. I'm looking to change my job title to one that represents what I actually do, but can't think of any.

This is the sort of stuff I do so not sure if anyone could come up with a good job title that I could put on my CV:
    • Manage both the accounting and cashless systems
    • Create new users, disable leavers and also deal with any password resets or logon problems
    • Install and maintain network printers and all other hardware
    • Resolve any computer, loader or till problems remotely from the server using Symantec pcAnywhere
    • Install application and security software and ensure that it’s kept up-to-date
    • Liase with the IT helpdesk regarding any cashless software issues
    • Administer daily backups and operate a system restore if required
    • Manage IT related projects such as setting up a cashless network, creating a VPN between the two buildings and installing a new fingerprint timekeeping system

Cheers guys :biggrin

WIP: HND Technical Support, MCDST
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Cashless Systems Support.

3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The only problem with changing your job title on your resume is that it won't match up with what HR tells companies who are checking your references. That's an instant red flag to some people.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Good point. I wonder if it's possible for you to talk to HR and see if you can mutually create an appropriate title?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. c9kay

c9kay Bit Poster

Cheers for the responses guys.

I should have been more clear. My manager agrees with me that I need a new job title, but as he is only an accountant he doesn't have any idea about IT and has suggested that I choose it :biggrin

WIP: HND Technical Support, MCDST
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Sounds like Systems Engineer to me (or Systems Administrator, for those locations that prohibit individuals without Engineering degrees from using Engineer in their title).

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!