Job spec

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by zxspectrum, Nov 8, 2013.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Hi all

I have an interview coming up next week for what it claims to be a 1st/2nd line support role. The salary ranges between £15 - 18 k and after seeing the job description, its more 2nd line to be fair. Anyway they rang me after i sent my CV, so i have managed to dig the job spec out and look at it again for next week. Looking at it im thinking there is now way im going to get this, then i think they rang me, at least so i am trying to keep positive and keep the nerves at bay etc.

Of the skills they require, i cover half, if that, so this is where i start to think well im not going to get it either way and may be wasting my time, apart from the interview experience. :rolleyes:

Should i go in with the knowledge i have but say look I cant do everything thats on the list, but thats where i want to be aiming for and that i would work my arse off to get to that point??? Obviously not them words but to that effect??

Also anyone got any spare tabs for me so i can keep the anxiety under control ha ha .

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Ed, they called you and they obviously think you have something to offer, essentially at this time the job is yours to lose.

As an example I was recently approached by a large international bank to interview for a role reporting to the board (head of virtualisation), this isn't something I consider myself ready for, want or am capable of but I still did the telephone interview, mostly because I was interested in seeing what it was that they saw in me (my varied technology background as it happens). I didn't go beyond the telephone interview (with the director of IT, again someone on the board) because as I mentioned I don't class myself at that level but it was nice to think that others obviously did.

Be honest with them, they approached you and they obviously think there is something that you can offer them, don't cut yourself short and realise that actually having that push can sometimes open up the career to the place you want it to be.

Good luck with the interview and remain positive.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    Arroryn likes this.
  3. zxspectrum

Cheers Si

ZX

4. Cunningfox

Cunningfox Byte Poster

Job adverts and job descriptions are tailored around their 'perfect' match. No-one is a perfect fit, with your skills they obviously think they are a good match for the key stuff. It's worth doing a bit of research on the stuff you don't know so you at least know what it is. It's a lot more positive to show awareness of something on that job description even if you don't know more than it's name and roughly what it does.

Certifications: CCNP, CCNA, MCP
    WIP: ??
  5. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

What I see is, they see someone they can mould and train in-house for what they need. The fact that you cover 50% of the skills (in your opinion - and as your self-esteem is not of the Bender level then you're probably better than you think) is still okay for them. You're not a donkey, you can be trained for the rest. But be straight - if you're not perfect fit, they'll offer you the low end of the wage. As long as you're happy with that, then let's face it - as others have said, they called you. Suck it in, think positive. And smash it :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  6. zxspectrum

Cheers for the encouragement guys.

One quick question. Should i mention that i could do a work trial with them, through the DWP or leave that out?? Surely that must have its benefits, they get to see what im like before having to take me on, if that comes off etc

Ed

7. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

That's what probationary periods are for. Unless you're going to be better off once you count housing/council tax benefits etc, I'd keep quiet.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  8. BigG

BigG Nibble Poster

Yes exactly that. The money is not amazing for 2nd line, and that is my guess as to why they are interested in getting you - at a snip. In this case it's win win (hopefully). They get a good bloke at a knock down price, who they then have to spend a little more time training and you get a better job.

Don't be too honest, aim for the upper pay band and don't undersell yourself. If you have weaknesses be honest, but the interviewer feel as though these weakness are something that can be addresses quite easily.

Remember, at an interview the only person who can best represent you - is you. Sell yourself well as no one else will.

Good luck

G

Certifications: BSc, Prince2 Practitioner, MCSA Win7, MCSA 2008
    WIP: Vmware, ITILv3 on the back burner
  9. zxspectrum

Well guys the time has been and gone, and to be honest out of all of the interviews i have had, that has got to be one of the most positive. Both of the interviewers were great, i was asked HR style questions and also technical questions, after one of the technical questions i was informed that most people got the answer wrong, which boosted the ego a bit i must admit.

As for the run up to the interview i went in with a totally different attitude. Normally id read up and swot like a mo fo, but this time i just did easy reading on stuff and relaxed a lot more, and safe to say my anxiety levels were a lot better which meany my body language was as well, partly down to me, partly down to the interviewers as well.

Hopefully ill know by this time next week, if i get it, wow i am going to be very busy, which is what i like and what i want

Cheers for all the words of encouragement guys that helped me out a lot, will post next week if im lucky

Ed

10. ICEMAN

ICEMAN Bit Poster

Just picked up on this thread, mate, hope it went well.

I'm in the same boat tommorow. The job is a ten minute walk from where I live, the salary is 4k more, and the recruiter hasnt told me what to research ;(

anyway, let us know.

cheers.

WIP: CCNET
  11. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Best of luck mate :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs