Job skills in high demand...

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by snuffy, Nov 27, 2010.

1. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/

Basically solves most questions on how popular something is within the IT jobs market.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  2. Mariusz

Mariusz Byte Poster

and looks like all the certification I am doing is worth jack **** (still prefer to do it as it increases my chances to find better job), especially without experience
    for an IT Support roles it is easier to get for people that are already inside of company: ex: I was working in a factory as production assistant, and they were looking for IT Technician inside of company, without advertising outside - I bet lots of companies do so, probably would be easier to get into IT by going to work as production/warehouse person to companies that employ 100-200 people .
    IT Support roles do not appear in my area on adverts at all (jobsite, totaljobs, reed, cwjobs, jobstoday), there is still demand for IT people but I am talking about an high IT skills (SQL, WMVare, Linux/Unix Lots of Web/Php/HTML/Java Developers), not some MCDST, and when they are looking for IT Support 1st line person they require knowledge of Hardware, Software, Servers, Linux and few Microsoft Certificates for around 20.000 pa - times will be harder and harder, as more people think IT is a good job, therefore I will be happy to get something like CNC Miller position or other technical role and then eventually progress into IT role by internal promotion

Certifications: ECDL Extra, ITQ Lvl2, CompTIA A+, N+, S+
    WIP: MCTS 70-680 Win7
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Basically solves nothing because the figures they put up in no way reflect the real world. Seriously - that site is as full of sh1t as it's always been - the only thing it's good for is justifying a pay rise to your director.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Comptia Network+ (3 months to 29 Dec 2010)- Average salary for UK: £52,500

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

5. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

The point in that website is that it only shows the salary for jobs that specify something.

Few 1st line support jobs ask for the Network+.

Few low paying jobs specify any qualifications at all and every now and again you may get an managerial job which specifies it.

The website is pointless if you don't look beyond the data.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
    Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  6. Albert

Albert Bit Poster

That's the same situation I seem to be getting over here mate.

• I'm 24 yrs (and getting older)
    • Been 2 yrs since graduation
    • Currently working in an outsourced call centre in Newcastle Upon Tyne, as Tier 1 support, for an ISP client, for over a year now. There's no tech role progression as it is not 'in-house'.

Everyone tells me to just give up on trying for an IT career and just go into sales, business or insurance yet I am too stubborn enough to let go of something I feel passionate about, :rolleyes:.

7. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Bullsh*t. If you like it, and are any good at it, keep looking.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Don't give up. You're young yet. I didn't get my first "real" IT job until I was 28.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I agree with others, don't give up. If you feel passionate about IT you will definitely get to where you want to be as long as you keep trying. It's not easy and sometimes really discouraging, I know what that feels like, but you have to keep at it.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  10. coolc

coolc Nibble Poster

Since you are working for a company doing ISP helpdesk work, that means you are already in I.T. I have 3 years of I.T experience, in helpdesk, was redundent in 2009 (June) being looking for work ever since then. It sux it know, I feel deeply depressed but what can I do, I aint giving up, ppl told me to, but I have no other option. I dont have other schooling or an education except certs lol

11. Albert

Albert Bit Poster

Well, if you are still looking for a job, happen to be living nearby and don't mind any old IT job my employer is always taking on new people.

The pay leaves something to be desired and the hours are between 07:00 - 23:00 but at least there's overtime available, mostly.

The following is just to show the job details. Send me a PM if you're interested and I'll give you the direct contact details for the local Head of HR, whom I know. We can also possibly meet after the interview.

http://www.reed.co.uk/job-details/N...3&l=Newcastle+Upon+Tyne,+Northumberland&s=52&

Just trying to help out a fellow peer that's all, :)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  12. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Great thread guys...I should have read this thread before posting up my Jobs in London thread as this thread has answered a lot of my questions!

Cheers! :p

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...