Job skills in high demand...

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by snuffy, Nov 27, 2010.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I live in the North East and even with 7 years experience it's a pain to get good jobs. Since being made redundant I've been lucky in getting contracts but the future is less clear for me. Simply put your in the wrong city for a good IT career.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. michael78

Yup I agree I know I could walk into a job in London on a lot more money and at a higher position than I'm on in Newcastle. Still I point blank refuse to move to London. I couldn't handle my son having a cockney accent :biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  3. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

You could just walk into a job down there? I don't know a single person who has just walked into one from the North, friends with Masters in Clinical Embryology and Biochemists can't get a job down there and came back soon enough. The London dream is a myth for 95% of the people that move down there, the other 5% usually have something pre arranged.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  4. michael78

Wrong wording but I mean I could easily get a job down in London for more pay and better career opportunities than Newcastle. Of course you would arrange it before upping sticks but I have a lot of experience and get jobs in Newcastle even when the market is rubbish. The market is vastly bigger in London than Newcastle and that means a lot more opportunities. I tend to get most jobs if I make it to interview stage. I'm not blowing smoke up my own backside but I believe in my abilities, skills and experience and have good references. I believe my choice of home has really held my career back but that's the choice I've made. I've worked in London a lot so yes I also know the market down there. Reason I don't move down there is simply I don't like London enough to live there.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  5. westernkings

Isn't a lot of the experience and skill benefit that makes us valuable up here, cancelled out when the market and people in that market are increased by eight times the amount as in London? I really remain unconvinced that London has anything to offer any more and that there remains any true benefit to being down there, even in jobs. I mean, the BBC are upping sticks and moving half of their business to Manchester, what does that say?

It wasn't a poke at you by the way mate :D just creating debate.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  6. michael78

I didn't take it as a slur mate. I didn't mean my reply to sound like I'm the best IT professional out there either but it was to get my point over :biggrin

My opinion is that the BBC are doing the right thing in moving and that will be due to cost saving (mainly rent and salaries I would imagine) and a lot of other companies would benefit in doing the same in moving their HQ's out of London but at the end of the day they won't as London is one of the biggest financial markets in the world and having a presence in London = status. At the end of the day most big institutes are based in London so that is where the jobs are. Manchester also has a good IT market from what I gather but Newcastle is a different situation as the market is pretty small compared to other cities.

As for what makes us more valuable then yes it does but your competing over a handful of jobs that crop up rarely compared to other cities. I can only say this from a viewpoint of living and working in Newcastle.

7. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

While London should be irrelevant as companies and jobs can be done anywhere, truth is we don't have that, just like the paperless office never arrived, we aren't all working from home, and we aren't all working two day weeks as machines are doing all the work...

Truth is there are just far more jobs in London, many people can double their income just by moving there, go contact at same time possibly even more. Sure the cost of living is high, you'll be stressed, and probably hate your life, but if careers all that counts he's probably right...

As for Reading, its the 'Thames Valley / Thames Corridor', its two minutes from London and Heathrow, thats why its UK silicon valley, its number two place to work in IT after London in my book, and still in the south east and near london. So it doesn't really break Zeb's point.

8. westernkings

There are far more jobs but far, far more people. I was reading about the UK Silicon valley thing, was good to see but I still believe the benefits of moving down south are nowhere near as great as people tend to be convinced.

@Michael

Looking at the stats just now, London is third worst place for unemployment being topped by the North East and the Midlands.

Move to the North West :D

9. michael78

Yeah point taken about more people but the ratio of IT jobs to people is far greater in London than anywhere else in my opinion. It's the capital and the business centre of our country so it makes sense for the industry to be far bigger there than anywhere else in the country.

10. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I can only speak from my anecdotal experiences but the they are the top two places to work in the south and my career did VASTLY better when there over other locations in the south. Most IT jobs are for company head offices, and theres simply loads of them in those locations.

Unemployment and poverty are high in London, but I suspect that does not apply to skilled IT positions, it's more likely to apply to population as a whole and all sectors including unskilled sectors. Yes there are more people, but also FAR more positions, if you are any good its going to give you more opportunities than you might see in your local town/village/city in a whole year.

11. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

IT jobs up here in Aberden are pretty readily available :)

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  12. westernkings

I got banned from driving by a scottish court, so not too keen on it any more :p

13. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Thats because no one wants to work up there :D:p

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  14. danielno8

oh dear, whoops!

hahaha :) It's not soooooo bad.

15. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

lol, tbh I can't wait to get out of Scotland

16. danielno8

Aye? Plans on where you will go? I would quite like a job in Glasgow!

17. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

My experience working for outsource companies is that we can do our entire job remotely, so practically everyone in every role here can work from home, or any site. We have roughly 6000 staff in the UK, our UK HO is a flash building in London, but I've not had to work there to earn the same or more than counterparts down there. Admittedly that could be the way just my employer operates but my point was that coming out with a carpet bombing statement that you have to go to London if you want your career to fly just isn't true.
    I have seen a similar role to mine, double the wage, in Edinburgh.

The second point I wanted to get across was that it all depends on where the best companies are based, which is why I think its more important who you work for than where you work. A lot if not most of the big companies do have offices in London, but of them how many have the majority of their workforce based there? Much more likely they will be distributed throughout the UK. As said our HO is in London but a lot of our jobs are in our two datacenters in Birmingham and Andover.

If location location location were all that matters we'd all fly to the California.

Each to their own, I'm by no means saying I'm correct, we are both just talking about our experiences. I might be getting sent to Poland for some work by my company, go figure :rolleyes:

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  18. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Nothing set in stone yet but my plan will take me state side, Edinburgh would be a better place to live, most of Glasgow is a Sh*t hole (recently voted the most miserable place to live in the UK :D)

19. westernkings

I agree fully. I earn the same as my southern colleagues, yet I am substantially better off in real terms. It's not often I agree with a scouser, but this is one of them rare times that everything one has said, has been spot on. :twisted:

20. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Ha ha thanks..... I think? No seriously mate you have touched on something I left off. I'm much better off than my counterparts in London because my mortgage is £150 a month (newish 3 bed semi), council tax is £115 a month, no congestion charges etc etc.

In general..... some of our highest earning but still technical staff are called Technical Architects who are classed as 'UK Wide'. For that they get to work on all the household named contracts, government contracts etc up and down the country, which in my humble opinion, makes them more attractive on paper than saying they worked for X based in London.

I'm a little flabbergasted with the way this is going in that to me, its like saying if you work in Scotland or Wales for example, you won't be as successful as someone in London......

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs