Job security, quality of life, pay and disposable income(UK)

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Waqas Ahmed, May 9, 2015.

1. Waqas Ahmed

Waqas Ahmed Nibble Poster

Hey all!

I'm at my last year of university, and I'm from West Yorkshire originally. I was having a chat, with a friend of mine who is moving to Prague/Bulgaria but that's something else entirely. Any way, we had a slight chat about quality of life

I saw here that quality of life as a whole is better in Leeds,than it is say in London - By quite a stretch. Quality of life as a whole is apparently better in Brum, than Leeds. For statistics, check out numbeo . com and the quality of life of those cities.

And it's all well and good, talking about quality of life in those cities, but how would that compare with the IT professions (Specifically networking - with certs like CCNA, CCNP, experience, university degree etc...)

Atm, Im young, I can go wherever, I don't have a mortgage, I dont have a spouse, no kids etc...etc... etc...but one day, I'd want to not have to rent, Id want my own house and well once you're grounded, that's you set - pretty much. It's harder to move when you've got a mortgage to pay off..

I'd want to live in a city where there is a good amount of job security (ie: if I'm made redundant, there are other businesses in the area that will take me on), where I can have a good quality of life and where I've got quite a lot of disposable income

There's something to be said for earning lots of money, but there's also something to be said for actually having lots of money to spare, and not being taxed the hell out of it.

For me:
    Leeds > Close to parents. Good quality of life (overall. Not sure how that fares for IT), and I've got friends there. Im a true Yorkshire person at heart.
    Brum > Bang center(ish) of England. I can move about where I want with relative ease. I have friends both in the north and the south. ATM, I live near-ish to Brum, and I can go any where in England (And Wales) in about 2-3 hours.
    London > Every thing is happening there. Transport is absolutely fantastic, and I've got friends there.

Advice would be appreciated :)

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited: May 10, 2015
    Certifications: CCNA R&S
    WIP: CCNA ???
    JK2447 likes this.
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Hi, where to start. Firstly I'd like to say this is a very well thought out and interesting post. I honestly found your outlook on quality of life really refreshing! I'm on the site you mentioned, it's really good. It's a tough one because even though quality of life may be high in one area, that doesn't mean the job you want or need is in that area. Sometimes you will have to go where the work is for the sake of your career, the bigger picture if you will. For years I've gone where the work is. I've been lucky that its been relatively close to where my family is. Now that I've done that I'm in the position where I can work from home or anywhere in the UK. I would have to get a new job to work outside of the UK due to the account I'm on but otherwise I can go where ever. On my way to where I am now, that wasn't an option. I had to be in the office every day. I suppose my point is, it's brilliant to think about quality of life but should you find that taking a hit throughout your career, that's also OK as long as it's getting you the experience and opportunity to ultimately wind up with the quality of life you want.

It's impossible to know what to do when, it is all a calculated gamble. Leeds for instance might mean you have a lovely lifestyle, but one day you might have to move to another city to land that perfect role, or use as a stepping stone to the job you really want.

I hope that makes sense, it does in my head ha ha
    Cheers
    Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
    Waqas Ahmed likes this.
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I see lots of IT roles in Leeds all the time so you shouldn't have an issue.

I've lived in Switzerland which has the highest Quality of Life index, definitely worth considering.

The realities are more complex because these are just aggregate statistics, ultimately only you can decide your quality of life, depending on what job, friends, family, accommodation, you personally have.

Waqas Ahmed likes this.
  4. JK2447

Top Poster
    of the Month

Hey here's another thought, just wait until you meet your significant other! It's all going out the window when that happens ha ha You could end up in Peru ha ha (nothing wrong with that btw!)

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    cisco lab rat and Waqas Ahmed like this.
  5. Waqas Ahmed

Ahh thanks for that! And that's true I guess. I guess it is a gamble. I though that considering this is so early on in my career, I may as well take an educated-ish gamble on that now, instead of later on, when it's harder to move! :D Just out of of interest, have you stayed in say one particular area in the UK or moved about all over the palce?

Initially, pre-placement, I was like YEAH I want to live in London, because all the big companies are there, and after working for a big company, I felt like the team was REALLY nice, but in a big corporation, I felt that perhaps you're a bit more pigeon holed, because of how they see risk, and I don't want to be in the situation of say the guy who only knows how to configure BGP 10 years down the line, so from that sense, I'm not mega fussed about London based on the companies that are there tbh!

Do you reckon it would be wise perhaps to start off in London and move back north? Most grad jobs I see are around there, but then some senior roles are all over the place?

That's true I guess RE: the IT roles

Yknow the interesting thing is that my parents came from Pakistan (Well my mum came here when she was 2) and they wouldn't want me and my sister moving out of the UK, despite them leaving their home country! Which will complicate matters I guess, cos sister will PROBABLY be in London for her job (As all the publishing companies are down there), but that's a little off topic.

And you make a good point tbh. It's one thing looking at facts/figures, and it's quite another with regards to friends/family and stuff.. Accommodation is a big un I guess... Like it did frustrate me a little that you're paying for little cabinets in London, when I went to a friends flat down there, and what also worries me about London is that increasingly people are being priced out, because the rich Sheikhs are buying up the London properties

I did look at Reading, but there doesn't seem to be many jobs down there IT wise? And Reading is pretty close to London too. I do go down to London pretty often tbh, but not sure if I want to live there long term either. Ahh tis all a lot to think about on "where to ground yourself"

Ahhh that's quite true tbh! Tis all about the compromise and stuff, and didn't take that in an offensive way. Could tell you're joking. DW :)

JK2447 likes this.
  6. JK2447

Top Poster
    of the Month

@The Internet It's a tough one mate, if you start off in London then its likely every where else is going to seem low paid, you tend to get the best salary down there to offset the higher cost of living. I've stayed in the North West. Scouser mate, check out my town on your website, great place, great sports, cheap everything, I plan to buy half of it once I get going ha ha (very small time property investment as a side line from IT)

Waqas Ahmed likes this.
  7. Waqas Ahmed

Ah this is true. GOod to know that you've done well in the North West however. I did think of that in terms of IT jobs as being a bit...meh, but you've seemed to have done well.

And tbh, last year, I was working at that large corporation. Friends were working down south at another large corporation and I had more disposable income than they did, despite them earning 6K more. Granted, I didnt have to pay tax, because between April and April I didnt make enough to pay tax, but even if I had to pay tax, I still had more disposable income

And in the end, it's not the salary that matters to me. It's the disposable income. There's no point in having a really high salary if most of your income vanishes. (Not through taxation, but general living costs)

And wow man! The quality of life is meant to be really good up there!!

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  8. JK2447

Top Poster
    of the Month

Your money goes far around my way mate so if you're earning market rates if seems as if you're doing pretty well. I've been very fortunate by working for a global that just so happened to have an office up here. I got my head down, studied and worked my way up to a position where they don't care where I work, they just care about the work I produce so I could now base myself anywhere. Course I'll stay here because my money goes a lot further ha ha But in the future who knows, I would move for the right lifestyle as you say

Waqas Ahmed likes this.
  9. Waqas Ahmed

Ahhh that is very much true. The non London cities are vibrant enough for me, that's one thing I've noticed. Interestingly, one thing that is cheaper in London than well..any where is probably food. I've not seen food any where cheaper than London, but that's probably because of all the competition!

With regards to work, I'm more inclined to work for a Meraki type company than a giant, purely because welll... you have that work/life balance, and I feel Id learn a bit more if Im out in the field a bit more etc...A Meraki type company would be ideal, because well they're a small company, who are owned by a large one

Atm, I was looking at Cisco gold partners, because they have a vested interest in training me up... And that's true I guess... When they don't care where you work, you may as well work, where life is not mega expensive... Though I'll tell you this jk2447, it's probably a GOOD thing that we keep up the stereotype of the northern cities being all doom and gloom, because tbh, I've been to Liverpool, it's not doing too badly, and well the house prices aren't any where near as expensive as the southern cities

Course I'm from "near Leeds" myself, which is quite a bustling city. In a way it's a good thing that Londoners don't often venture much outside of London itself...

JK2447 likes this.
  10. JK2447

Top Poster
    of the Month

:thud::perfect10:This is it mate, let the southerners think down there's best so we can make our fortunes up here mwah ha ha ha

Waqas Ahmed likes this.
  11. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Bloody Northern Monkeys :francis: haha

Come join us Southern Fairy's - we're ok really ;D

In all seriousness though - I'm originally from Bristol - and it's a great place with a fair amount of IT work. There are some big businesses there, but also some smaller IT firms too. Quality of life wise - it's fairly expensive, but you get a lot for that in return in my opinion.

I've now moved to Cardiff, which I'd compare as similar to Bristol, however, the amount of IT work is minimal in comparison, and outside of Cardiff aren't a great deal of places to find work without going to Swansea.

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
    Waqas Ahmed and JK2447 like this.
  12. JK2447

Top Poster
    of the Month

I get sent to London a bit with work and must admit, I do love it dawn saaafff. Some lovely places to work in the UK. I've never really considered what a place is like but must admit, recently I've really enjoyed working back in Liverpool city centre. I forgot how cool it is having access to so much plus we have a cracking view out of the office 14 floors up

Waqas Ahmed likes this.
  13. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Cambridge has good IT jobs and is a nice area to live.

Certifications: A few.
    Waqas Ahmed likes this.
  14. Waqas Ahmed

Hah. I'm in London pretty often tbh! Whenever I am in London, I always find that I'm more alert, maybe because it's cos of the sheer amount of people there, blocking your path, not having your ticket out in time, so you're holding others etc... London as a city does worry me, in terms of long term living, because the way I see it is, that as long as we rely on oil, and supplies dwindle, rich Arab sheikhs will buy up more and more property in the West, unless they want to go back to the olden days... A "rich boys playground" as it were. And sure, you get the London allowance, but there's having the London allowance, and then there's the astronomical house prices.

I did think of Bristol tbh. And tbh, after working for a large corporation, I think I want to work for a small one, as large organisations are much more risk adverse (Which can mean that moving one device to another device in the same damn room takes...8 months) so that put me off a bit tbh.

I've got to admit that too tbh. It's just general thinking "Hmm would I have enough money for x" In life, I would want a big house, and a nice car (for material goods) - course I want more out of life than that! (Like having enoug to support parents, make mums life easier etc... ) But they're probably the most expensive things you'll buy. The house prices are certainly quite attractive up north

And not mega far from London! Tbh, I had a look at Reading, and that to me was "the sweet spot" London wages, Birmingham house prices. But then it's knowing if there's many networking/sys admin/support jobs in Reading tbh!

15. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

So living in Colchester I have a decent house (4 bed detached with double garage) that cost me less than a 1 bed flat in London, I commute to Stevenage pretty much every day at the moment (I used to commute to Hammersmith which was more painful).

TBF before I got married I moved to where the job was, I have lived and worked in Cambridge (I loved it), London (various), worked in Basingstoke, Watford and Luxembourg. If I hadn't done that I wouldn't have met my wife (we met in Luxembourg) and I wouldn't have the kind of life I do now, I guess part of the reason that I had no issues moving was the 10 years I spent in the forces (16 - 27) but at 45 now I find myself thinking about a new house in the next couple of years (we had originally planned to be in our current house for 5 years, it's been 8) and I want a change of scenary now but I know that I couldn't afford London prices even on my wage.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    Waqas Ahmed likes this.