Job Search

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by spoons, Feb 15, 2006.

1. spoons

spoons New Member

Hi
    New Here

I have recently obtained a CCNA certificate and am looking to break into the IT sector preferably dealing with networks, thing is im not sure what kind of entry level job i should be looking for?

I dont have any IT experince but i do have Two years experince working in accounts, would that help me at all when applying.

Anyhelp would be greatly appriciated
    Thanks in advance

2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hi spoons and welcome to CF.

Well personally if I had studied for CCNA then I would be looking to use those skills in my job. However, the catch is that you will find it difficult to find a job without the relevant experience configuring Cisco routers and switches in the real world.

Experience with accounting is good, as most companies have accounts departments and it helps if the IT person has an appreciation of the systems and software they use.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, spoons. Welcome to CertForums. Problem is, with a brand new CCNA and no job experience, no sys admin in their right mind will let you start out by configuring their switches and routers. You may have to settle for an entry-level support tech job and work your way up. I can tell you from personal experience that there's a world of difference from learning networking in a lab setup and working in a production environment. Good luck and let us know how we can help.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. cactus

cactus Bit Poster

Trip,

I'm in a similar position to Spoons - any advice on what 'keywords' to search for on job sites in order to enter the networking field?

Cheers!

Cactus.

Certifications: HNC Elect & Tcomms, CCNA, ITIL Fndtn, CCNP BCMSN, CCNP ROUTE
    WIP: CCNP TSHOOT, CCNA Security
  5. cactus

cactus Bit Poster

Anybody...? :cry:

6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Entering the 'networking' field is no easy thing. Trip said you may have to start out with an entry level tech support position. doing basic hardware and software support.

You may be able to get into specific networking roles, by starting at the bottom of network installation companies and doing the physical cabling, or by looking for roles such as helpdesk for BT.

8)

7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi,

Sorry if I've missed the area where you're located, but have you tried companies like Pegasus, Sage or similar companies. Every so often they advertise entry level IT support roles and one of the main requirements is that the person needs to know book-keeping/accounts, etc.

I have to agree with everyone here, not being funny but I wouldn't let someone with no experience loose on my network. But don't be down hearted (or curse me for saying that), start with an entry level position like everyone else is saying cause then the move will be alot easier for you.

Good luck in your search for the job you want, know you'll get it :D

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. cactus

cactus Bit Poster

Thanks for the reply Simon, gives me food for thought...