Job search agony ended with suicide

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by IT2009, Apr 23, 2010.

1. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Actually Michael, I am sorry but you don't have to believe in God to have high morals, I like to think that I have a high moral standing but I certainly don't believe in a higher supreme being to be the cause of that. Let's look at it a different way, Religion is to blame for some of the worst human miseries this world has ever known and just because you believe in God doesn't mean you are a 'Good' person. The issues with *****phile priests is a prime example of that.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  2. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

BM what is your opinion, if any, on Allah and Islam? do you believe in the same god? or do you all have a separate god? or do you think that they worship the wrong god, or not a god at all. (same for Judaism and Hinduism etc)

Never been in a situation to ask a devout Christian that question. Would be interesting to see a Christians opinion of the other religions.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Indeed.
    From that point of view, it is a selfless act from the persons point of view, and a selfish act from everyone elses.
    The thing is, it's all a point of view thing, so we're never going to come to any consensus looking at it in an objective discussion.

I just hope that it's not anything that I, my family, or any of you guys have to go through.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. arj7

arj7 Nibble Poster

Ive been job hunting for 6 months now and it is soul destroying, the fact that you get no response in most instances is frustrating but its just as bad that you get told you didnt get the job because either you dont have the "experience" or they cant say.
    My prayers go out to her family and Im sad to say that people like her who have been trying to find work often feel like they do not no what to do.
    RIP

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Read my response carefully - I never said you did. I said that those who don't have high morals don't typically believe in God or any other higher power - doing so tends to get in the way of "doing what you want to do". Or, people tend to believe in a "God of Convenience" - one that "fits" their lifestyle... which, really, is nothing more than rationalizing their behavior.

No, just because I believe in God doesn't mean I am a "good" person. Just because I believe in Jesus means I am a "saved" person.

In truth, none of us are "good" people - ALL have sinned and fall short of the glory of God - Romans 3:23.

If a priest is a pedophile, then he's sinning when he does it. And if he continues to sin repeatedly, then has he *really* given his life to God?

Last edited: May 3, 2010
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

No, we do not worship the same God. It is not possible that we worship the same God, because our Gods teach two different things - opposite things in many cases.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Ah, religion and politics - the cause of many world problems.

Just to come back to topic rather than a discussion on the semantics of suicide. I feel I can comment as one who had 20 months of unemployment and financially am nowhere near back on the road to recovery yet.

People react differently in different situations and being unemployed and treated in various ways depending on who you see or speak to at a Job centre is an enormous pressure. From that I can understand how the poor unfortunate felt. For me, I tend to react a bit like a cornered animal and don't go down without a fight but it really does wear you down.

I can therefore understand why they resorted to suicide but I'll keep my views on that to myself as I don't really think CF is the place for that discussion.

Shall we move on ?

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  8. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

A tragic story, and complete waste of a person's life. I think this underlines how much importance people place on a 'job' these days, and it seems to be over-emphasised.

It is a simple fact that only a certain percentage of a population need to be employed in order for all the things that society needs to get done. This is due to economies of scale and technology.

I suspect the Job Center as being a contributor to this person's depression and suicide due to the pressure they put on unemployed people to constantly be applying for jobs. Its utterly ridiculous to be asked the names addresses of companies you have applied to for jobs and provide evidence every single week of these efforts to obtain work, (as I know from a brief period of unemployment I experienced some years ago).

Otherwise unemployment can be a golden opportunity as it gives a lot of free time, which can be used for volunteer work, education, and exploring other interests.

With regards to the comments about Religion, I am not taking sides, but what a lot of people forget is just how much more dangerous secular systems are - just take a look at the scorecards of 20th century Communism and Fascism for example, in terms of death-tolls.

At the end of the day this is just a totally crazy situation, and people are being over-sold on careers and jobs, when in reality its more important to have a life than a job, and this girl has just lost her life for the sake of a job.

I think the family should sue the government for allowing this kind of pressure to be put on a young person's shoulders.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Cisco CCNA
  9. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Meh, I cant be bothered being involved in this. i think the topic is getting well off from the orginal post..........

So........ I dont think the girl was selfish at all.......and you think she is selfish. Guess we kinda agree to never agree on that :)

Either way.......again my thoughts to the Girl, her family and all the wonderful things that could have been in her life and her families life.

Anyone else in a similar situation like this..........Life will get better, life is worth living and getting through the rough patches makes you stronger, and defines who you are. and who you become:)

Last edited: May 7, 2010
    Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290
  10. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

You can't say that and then go on to give your opinion anyway.
    Choose not to be involved in a discussion = choose not to post.

8)

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  11. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

^ not true, as i can't be bothered going to work some days, or doing the washing, but i still do it :)

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  12. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Your right. But i was more referring to not being involved in the long winded posts of disagreement, which go completely off topic....than the actual the topic itself. Hope that makes sense:S

Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290