Job Report

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by JohnBradbury, Mar 2, 2008.

1. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

Okay so after a larger gap than normal I'm back in work and ready to give the traditional job update :-)

As suspected my previous employer is having some issues after offshoring some of their technical support functions to India and the boys have been called back in to smooth things out. I can't go into too much detail about this but I'm sure you all get the picture.

The work is standard Wintel Server Support covering Windows 2003 Server, Citrix PS4, VMWare ESX 3.0, and Exchange 2003 in the main. With much more creeping in here and there.

Initially I'm only back short term but fingers crossed there may be something more in the pipeline.

It's nice to be back and working with the team again. All very nice guys and a good environment to have to work in.

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Congrats on getting your job back.

This senario seems to happen a lot, yet *still* management blindly outsources stuff with no thought for the consequences! :ohmy

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

That's why I don't like offshoring, not just in IT.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Because the decision to offshore is usually nothing to do with anyone who has even the slightest understanding of what such a decision will mean to a company. Its taken by bean counting consultants so they can get a nice, big fat bonus before moving onto the next poor sap of a company waiting to be rinsed dry by them.

Anyone who recommends offshoring for anything other than absolute basic first line support is the scum of the Earth.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Interestingly, in a company meeting recently we've been told that they will be scaling down their use of consultants as they aren't convinced that they have been getting value for money!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Congratulations on getting "back in the saddle" again. Hope something longer term works out for you, mate. :D

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Congrats in getting back into employment:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  8. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

Cheers guys.

On a side note I must say I've been gloating something rotten, and the term I TOLD YOU SO has slipped through my lips once or twice :biggrin

9. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

For outsourcing to really work, the organization needs to have processes and procedures down.

A recent report stated companies that find outsourcing a good move are ones that have 500 – 999 employees. A company with less than 500 employees normally doesn’t have the processes in place; and companies with over 1000 employees are usually global companies that already have offices in other countries.

I’ll post the article if I can find it.

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

My only experience with outsourcing was a horrible one. There was wholesale incompetence, and they did it simply to try to save a buck. Unfortunately, quality went right down the drain... and they didn't seem to care.

If I ever again work with a company that decides to outsource, it will be too soon... and my resume will likely hit several destinations soon thereafter.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs