Job prospects...

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by King, Jan 7, 2006.

1. King

King New Member

Hi all,

I am looking to get my first step on the IT ladder, & am looking to do the MCDST course. Is this something that will allow me to do this or would I be wasting my time? - I just need something to get my foot thru the door..

2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,

Welcome aboard. Glad you found us. :thumbleft
    The MCDST is a good start, although a lot of us here have gone the A+, N+ ...... route.
    Have you any IT experience already? While studying do whatever you can do gain experience that could appear on your CV.
    I did have a look at the MCDST myself and it looks like the 70-270 exam which is part of the MCSA cert with some added topics like customer support, working with staff etc..

Have you looked at any books for the cert yet? I believe the MS own one is quite good. If i find the ISBN i'll post back for you.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

MCDST is not well known by recruiters. I'd go down the MCSA route, taking A+, Network+ first (they count as one exam for MCSA)

you learn more and get far better known certs...

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  4. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Experience will get you in the door, no matter how many letters are after your name. :D

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  5. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

having got both the A+ and MCDST I would say that A+ is a better place to start from a personal prospective but I think that with the MCDST being a Microsoft cert it may hold more with a prospective employer just because it's Microsoft.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I'd say the the A+ and the Network+ are definately better starting places.

Whilst The MCDST is good, it focuses purely on MS technology, where as the A+ will give you a far better understanding of the technologies and concepts behind them.

7. King

King New Member

Hi All, Thanks for your replies.... with regards to IT experience, I only have what I know in terms of my own personal knowledge from using my own PC. I have looked at the A+ course & have seen that it looks like it focuses more on the haradware side of things that software... I am thinking of the MCDST because of the MS Win technology involved. The way I'm looking at it (correct me if I'm wrong) is that the majority of the Windows platforms are all similar in terms of usability, therefore once you are "qualified" in using once MS OS, chances are the principles would be the same in using the others. For those of you that have done the MCDST, how did you find it? And has it improved your chances of finding a entry level job within the IT Sector? Also, how long has the course been around? I've also heard that the courses that are introduced by Microsoft are normally only advertised once they are confident that they are "solid", which is also why I also want to do it. All comments welcome!

8. John53

John53 New Member

Hi maybe this will help.

If you know anyone with Nugget, LearnKey CBTs (computer base training) or if you have access to you ISPs newsgroups,you can get then from there. I have been using the CBTs to determine which MS or other certification to take. I am now studing for the MCDST test 70-271 using the CBTs and the MS self study book.

Certifications: windows xp and 2000 Pro.
    WIP: mcdst