Job prospects

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by ssx00, Apr 14, 2005.

1. ssx00

ssx00 New Member

What are the job prospects for someone with N+, CCNA and CCDA qualifications? What level of salary can you expect?

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

First of all, do you have those quals or are you trying to make a career decision? Secondly, usually you don't just study, certify and step into your first networking job. If you have those certs and no experience, no sys admin alive is going to let you touch their routers and switches.

I can't give you income information, especially for the UK, but I can suggest that while it is a viable career option, it will take a few years for you to acquire the certifications and the experience that goes along with them to realize the full earning potential that those certs may represent.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. ssx00

ssx00 New Member

Im actually a little unsure on what to do. One company have offered me an intensive A+/N+ course over seven days including exam fees for £2100. Others are telling me to go directly into CCNA/CCAA. Ive wasted enough time already and i just want to get my foot in the door. Thanks in advance.

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Your goals should be based at least somewhat on your experience and what you know. I took a variety of courses and earned my A+ and Network+ before taking on the CCNA. However, if you have significant networking experience relative to the Network+ already, then maybe going directly into Cisco is the way to go. If you don't, you could be somewhat overwhelmed by having the CCNA coursework be your first introduction to networking and IT.

5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. strangeupquark

strangeupquark Bit Poster

I gotta agree with trip here.

I started the CCNA with rather limited experience (almost none TBH), and found the welter of technical and general info I had to cover rather daunting. IIRC I was studying 4 or 5 hours a day Monday to Saturday, and 7 to 8 hours on a Sunday. Without some familirity with the material its a hard slog (well I found it a hard slog), but rewarding all the same.

Even after certification there is no dead cert of employment as a network tech. There are positions available for certified CCNA's on a local jobsite, but the requirements include 3 years experience. Its the old catch-22, no experience without a job, no job without experience.

Please understand, I'm not trying to put you off studying for IT certification, and then getting a job in IT. But at the same time, you will prolly have to take a lower paid ''entry level position'' and pay your dues, before going on to anything else.

WIP: A+
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I have to add that the way around the above is to gain experience in a lesser role. Let's say you get a first-tier help desk position or other similar support role. You can volunteer to help out the networking techs and gain additional experience without necessarily having a "key" role. As you are getting this experience, you can study for the CCNA and combine experience and certification. In fact, the knowledge you would gain helping a network tech or admin would definiately fold into your CCNA studies.