1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Job prospects

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by brizzoluk, Jun 16, 2008.

1. brizzoluk

brizzoluk Kilobyte Poster

Hi people im currently working towards my A+, Network + and MCDST.
    What i really want to know is how employable will i be with these qualifications and what sort of salary will i be looking at starting out?
    I am asking this as i do not trust the opinions of the training company im with who spout on about salaries in excess of £37,000 and im not stupid and realise i will be nowhere near this figure realistically.
    Just wondered if any of you have found a job with these certs?
    Thanks in advance.
    Certifications: ECDL, A+
    WIP: Network+
  2. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Practically any job you do, you start at the bottom and work your way up. My first I.T. job was 13 k a year - in my placement year from uni.

Wouldn't expect anything special, probs between 10-15k ish in a help desk role. Those training companies, talk aload of BS!

Those certs are the general entrance level certs. After that its how you sell yourself.
    Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I would say that, with no experience, outside London you are probably looking at 14k-16k with those certs. It will more likely be an entry-level role and you will probably be doing first line support (call logging and basic things like password resets). For something more varied, you might try first line support in a smaller company.

Good luck!
    Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. brizzoluk

brizzoluk Kilobyte Poster

Yeh i thought they were BS'ing me and yes obviously i will be starting at the bottom again which is a daunting prospect at my age but then thats what you have to do when you start a new career but hey the only way is up from there!
    Certifications: ECDL, A+
    WIP: Network+
  5. Carlsberg Wordsworth

Carlsberg Wordsworth Bit Poster

I hear you friend....I am in the same boat...

It's a veritable nightmare.I just plug away.
    Certifications: A+ Certified