Job progression from entry position

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Steven, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Steven

Steven Bit Poster

Hi

I've yet to get an entry job in IT and have just started to study towards the A+ then Net+

Once I've secured that golden entry position coupled with the certs mentioned; how long do people think it would be before I'd be able to get into a position of network control or similar role?

Realize there are alot of variables to consider but can you tell me about your experiences if you've went down this route or are looking to get into the same area?

Could it be done in 2 or 3 years?

cheers

2. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Hi,

I am in the same position, I have noticed that a lot of people stick with their current jobs until they get the A+ out of the way.

Andi

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

It all depends on how far you progress in your first IT job, I know people who have been doing the same thing in their jobs for 3 years and have had no experience of anything else. I also know people who have progressed a lot in 6 months.

(interview tip: ask if there is a chance to advance & progress your knowledge and experience)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Actually, this is a good question. A large number of people here are at the beginning of their careers (both educational and work) and are at the point of looking for their first IT job or studying and acquiring the skills that will lead to said-job.

Once you're in it...then what?

There's no absolute answer to your question since the type of job experience you get in that entry-level position will modify where you go next. Some opportunities will be internal...that is, an entry-level job can place an entry-level tech in a position to advance should someone "above" him or her leave or advance themselves. Others (alas) are dead ends...at least within the company, and you have to look elsewhere.

The monkeywrench in the machine is that some entry-level jobs will never provide you with the experience you need to advance your career at all. The only answer in that case, is to change jobs in a lateral move...same position grade, but better opportunity for experience that will lead to advancement.

When to move on? Whenever you have reached the point of diminishing returns in terms of what you're learning. You may never learn it *all* on any job, but when you can do about 80% of the job in your sleep (so to speak), you might want to move out of the comfort zone and into a more challenging position.

Just a few thoughts, here.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

greenbrucelee

What sort of thing should i be looking for as a entry level it job? ... especially pre A+

I see a lot of what i think are entry level .. however, when i read further actually require a lot of knowledge and experiance. It then comes obvious that they want to employ a skilled worker for peanuts.

I also see a lot that seem to mixtures of weird skill sets must be able to speak German, Chinese, support crystal reports, lotus notes and juggle chainsaws whilst milking a cow.

Perhaps i sound a little bitter with the world :) .. well i am annoyed a bit been currently unemployed and desperate :dry

Andi

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

If you look on the net at sites like Jobserve etc they will be marked entry level.

Also if your looking in newspapers etc look for jobs that say "will provide training" or "requires knowledge of".

I have just applied for a job where it says "general computing skills required"....."a good knowledge of Microsoft applications"......."full training given, starting at £12884 rising by 1k after 3 months rising by 1k after another year. Full progression and advancement expected.

I think you doing as I did at first and looking at jobs way beyond you, look for a salary below 16k then your on the right track.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Varies. Don't think there is any time limit.
    My first I.T. job was basically support and anything else I was neeed for at a commerical boiling company about 120 users + 15 over the U.K. I got that job due as it was a placement year at Uni.

At the end of that I applied for a job as I.T. Tech for an Infant School and a Junior School (part time). Each school has about 70 pc/laptops and then all the printers/server/projectors/tv's/website which i have to support. So effectively i am doing the job of I.T. manager and ""1st/2nd/3rd line"" support. Within less than two years of experiance.

I got a good reference and obviously did well in the interview - My first three person interview eek.

But anyway thats what I did in two years and I had nothing but A-levels, 2 years at uni and a year in I.T. so good luck to you. Once you got that entry job, the world might just be your oyster, just stay positive, I failed six interviews before I got my placement job including one at the nasty J.P. Morgan.

I look around every day on the local I.T. job boards, see whats happening, specially at my local council jobs, thats how I found the I.T. Tech job, pretty lucky I found it really.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

All this is dead-on accurate. Rep given!!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Steven

Steven Bit Poster

Cheers lads for your posts!

Jiser you've landed a nice one there mate!

Is it an entry level job and if so are schools often recruiting for this role?

10. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

I know a few schools around the area where a teaching assistant has simply become the I.T. Tech. (were talking elementary/primary/infant) As I.T. is very much a big thing now in schools, you have a few I.T. suites, white boards in every classroom, each teacher has a laptop, a few dozen wireless laptops in the larger schools. Alot of schools also have contracts setup with external supplier/tech support.

Schools reguarly recruit for the I.T. Tech roles, you gota keep your eyes open as they go quick. They usually ask for BTEC / A+ certification and a few years experiance.

I wouldnt say its nessarily an entry level position and I wouldn't have been able to go into the two schools and do the job I do without my year of experiance. Mainly as I do the jobs several people might do. Jobs for i.T. in schools get posted there quite a bit.

http://www.edugeek.net/forums/educational-jobs/

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.