Job opening

Discussion in 'Just for Laughs' started by ffreeloader, Oct 18, 2005.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I thought I'd post this job offer in here because it's a real laugher. Notice the qualifications and proffered wage. That's a whole $824, before taxes, every 4 weeks.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. ffreeloader

Here's another one. This one will pay all of $400 a week, twice what the other pays, but they only want a person to know 7 scripting/programming languages, sql server, veritas, crystal reports, ForeFront, Server 2003, and be able to design, build, and maintain relational databases.

This is the job market where I live.

3. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

it's roughly,(very roughly!) 60 p to the dollar, so i'll say about half to make it easy so thats about.......£420 a month, give or take, before taxes?!?

wow!

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  4. ffreeloader

Makes you really want to fight to get that job doesn't it?

5. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

so is your application ready to post? cv all shiny? lol, i do feel for you though mate if that's the calibre of jobs in your area.

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  6. ffreeloader

Oh, yeah. I'm going to send in at least a dozen resumes for both jobs. I love starving to death while working.

Actually those two jobs are the worst of bunch, but they do illustrate the pay scale and what employers are asking for as far as qualifications go. Bachelor's degree and 2 years experience, or a 2 year degree and no less than 6 years experience for desktop support at $10.00/hr.

There just aren't any entry level jobs around.

7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

where is it you live freddy?
    if you dont mind me asking ofcourse :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. ffreeloader

Eastern Washington, and no that's not Eastern Washington D.C. over on the right coast. I live on the left coast. If you want the general idea, I'm about 100 miles south of Spokane, Washington. It's the biggest city on this side of the state.

9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Come on freddy, you know my american geography is better than that :)
    my missis lives 10 minutes from Trip lol

Have you ever had a look at similar roles in more urban centers? if theres one thing I know about IT, its that its a lot more complicated finding that right role in an area with a low population density

i know you may not live in one of the big urban centers, but it might put in perspective thats its not all that bad, and could be attributed to your locale?

what am i saying, its you freddy, ofcourse you have :)
    just might show you that your skills are more than likely in demand, just not in the same place you need to look?

Hope you find what your looking for mate, you defo deserve it!
    how goes that oppertunity you were mentioning in another thread recently?

10. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

you having a good laugh but its just like that here in cyprus! B.SC and M.Sc even PHd wanted for what network admin!

they pay nothing but want every skill under the sun! :rolleyes:

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

You were right to post those links here...they are jokes. :tongue

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  12. ffreeloader

I got an email last night telling me it had evaporated into nothingness.

The person who was starting the company works for Washington State's Voc Rehab, so, because she works for Voc Rehab she can't hire an Voc Rehab clients. How's that for irony? Because she works every day at helping people with disabilities get jobs she can't start a company that has it's goal hiring people with disabilities. The State threatened to fire her for conflict of interest if she pursued hiring me, or even using me as a volunteer, any further.

13. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

beurocracy at its finest, sorry to hear that mate!

14. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Yeah, echo that, Freddy - that is deplorable !!!

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  15. ffreeloader

I have sent an email to the man who made the ruling telling him I think his ruling is a major conflict of interest. Voc Rehab's entire mission is supposed to be helping people with disabilities find work, and he ruled that a DVR counselor cannot provide work for DVR clients. I find his ruling in direct opposition to the mission of the entire organization.

16. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Sorry to hear that some jumped up beaurocratic fart pissed on your parade mate.

It's also good to know that you're not taking it lying down either. Stick it to them.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  17. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I just sent my application off this morning freddy. I told them that with me they'd get real value for money.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  18. ffreeloader

LOL. You'll be fighting for this one. There will be a lot qualified people just begging for this job. :twisted:

Actually, in the last year this company has advertised job openings similar to the one I posted here at least 3 or 4 times at the exact same wage, and all the jobs listed have had the types of qualifications wanted: extensive programming background, systems skills only aquirable with extensive experience, and sometimes project management skills. It makes you wonder just what they think they are going to get when advertising the jobs at below minimum wage. And no, I doubt the ads are typo's. They usually run the ads multiple times. They will run it for a month or so, wait a month and run it again so they obviously aren't getting qualified candidates....

It's a large company too. They hired about 300 new production people this summer alone.