Job offer conundrum

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by mad_maxx, Sep 27, 2015.

1. mad_maxx

mad_maxx Bit Poster

Hello everyone,

I'm in a situation that many people would envy, but is causing me a great deal of stress and anxiety.

For the past few years, I've been working as a project engineer for a small, but very motivated and visionary Microsoft partner. Their main focus is on cloud technologies such as Exchange Online, InTune, and Azure etc, to such an extend that they have moved away from providing a hosting platform themselves.

Since working for them, I have been motivated and inspired, spending a great deal of personal time learning and studying, to such a point that I am the key technical resource when it comes to things like Windows Server, Active Directory, Exchange, Office 365 etc. I do a lot of stuff involving key windows server tech, AD migrations, and Exchange/Exchange Online migrations and coexistence.

I was recently head hunted by a larger company who have offered me a considerable salary increase. This company has a much bigger position within the IT industry and has a greater portfolio of services, and I would hope that there would be scope to progress.

I would like to take the job as the new company seems to be a very well run organisation, however have a lingering reservation about the fact that most of my work would revolve around Exchange hybrid coexistence and migrations - an area of work for which demand will surely dwindle. I can certainly see demand for this kind of work for the next few years, but what happens once everyone's been migrated to the cloud?

I am already very well paid where I am (Comfortably in the higher rate tax bracket), though taking this new job would add a significant amount of net pay to my salary each month.

I'm really torn, and was wondering what people's opinions on this are.

Cheers

Mad_Maxx

Certifications: MCSE:Messaging
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Well you could always be honest and upfront with your existing company and say you have been approached, explain the reasons why you are considering moving on and see what they say.

One thing to consider tho is that whilst you may be hired on to do something specific at the moment that's not to say you will be doing that in say 3 years time. I was hired at my place as a senior Windows engineer over 4 years ago, I actually stopped working on the Windows platform 3 years ago and was promoted to a management position working with VMware Cloud Technologies 15 months ago, just because you're hired for one role doesn't mean that another won't find you whilst at the company.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I echo Simon's views here, one thing you'll find with the larger companies is that they have just about every job going, assuming its one of the big outsource type firms. Honestly, I'd be tempted mate. You're well paid now but what could you do with more? Is there something you want to do? Mosre dosh is always handy. I 'm ploughing it all into property so I can have a chance at a sensible retirement. I'm 36 so by the time I'm 60 the retirement age will probably be 70 or something daft, screw that.
    I don't think you've got anything to lose telling your present employer really, if you handle it well. They might offer you something.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. mad_maxx

mad_maxx Bit Poster

Thanks for the replies; I feel as though I would be mad to turn down this opportunity, but also feel concerned that should things not work out, I'd have given up a perfectly good and well paid job, needlessly. I am currently saving up for a house (waiting til I've got a 30% deposit built up)

I've also only been with my current employer for just over 2 years. While I have worked hard and diligently, they have given me big pay rises and an environment to thrive in. I feel a degree of loyalty towards them, and a feeling of guilt. My departure will leave their project team without a big hole in it, and certainly no one capable of doing Exchange and AD migration and consolidation projects to the same level I do.

I've never felt like this about leaving a job before; all my other departures have been driven by a clear reason to leave - eg unsatisfactory remuneration or development prospects.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
    Certifications: MCSE:Messaging
  5. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

It's a tough one mate. Loyalty is admirable and by the sounds of things, you can't lose either way as your current employer sounds really good. I suppose then, it could come down to future prospects. In your current place, where could you go next if you got bored or something meant that you could no longer do what you're doing now? Money definitely isn't everything at all, but then again if you're saving for a house... You'll get that sooner. Maybe run some numbers and guesstimate how much sooner you could get there. See if you like the numbers. At the end of the day, should your employer lose a contract they may have to lay you off. It's not personal it's business, so you need to think like that and do what's best for you

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  6. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

In my opinion - take the new one - sounds like they've offered you a good role.

As Simon said (lol, Simon Says) - You'll be put onto a different role i'd imagine if that line of work dries up, and it certainly sounds like you have the knowledge to move onto managing a new technology.

It's great that you're loyal to your current company, but in my opinion - always look after number 1, sounds like the pay will help you get toward that house you're after.

Either way, good luck :)

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  7. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I tried using Simon Says on the wife once, only once.... ;)

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    Apexes likes this.