Job Market, Recruitment Agencies & Confidence

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by BDB2008, Nov 20, 2009.

1. BDB2008

BDB2008 Bit Poster

*rant*

I've been out of the market/industry since June 30th (4:45pm) i have applied for 70+ jobs since, worked tirelessly for 3 weeks for 1 job alone covering 3 interview stages to be told i was pipped at the post but if and when another role is required i will have the job without going through the process again: how long? how long is a piece of string was the sort of reply....

All the Reed.co.uk - Monster adverts etc turn into nothing more than thanks but no thanks, the weekly trip to the job centre informs me that they can't do anything for me as the roles i am applying for are techincally more than they can help with!..

I'm in the same boat as Darkstar January comes and i am in placement, yippee!!

So a role appears that i have an interview for on Wednesday - it's a 1st line support role paying £13k a year - over £12k lower - (with no perks) than my previous job - once i take out T&NI / nursery costs i will be earning --- £3.06p ph - now am i the lucky one - assuming i get the job of course, will most probably be 'over qualified' and 'waiting for a better role to come on the market'....

Damned if you do damned if you don't.

I'm struggling to get on with training as the motivation has gone, the wife is amazing my 15 month old son doesnt give a monkeys as long as i play with him lol

I have been told my resume/CV is very good but i am wondering wether its that that is causing the negativity or as the majority state - its a numbers game and there are alot of numbers?

Any advice most welcomed...

Certifications: Life Experiance count?
    WIP: MCSA MCSDT MCSE CCNA
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

A colleague has just told me he's recruiting (Wilshire) and he's taking an ex council guy who was on £28 + £5k bonus.

He's employing him on £13k

Sign of the times.

Nice if you can do it but it wouldn't cover my basic essential bills - I'd be better off begging on the streets !

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox Bit Poster

I don't know your position nor your skills, but this really is a sorry state of affairs. Is it a case of needing experience? If so it might be worth taking the low paying job to gain some relevant experience then work hard and work your way up.
    Failing that could you take an unrelated job (like in a supermarket) until something you want to do comes along.

Certifications: MCAS
    WIP: A+
  4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Read around the forum - you'll find we're both quite experienced !

5. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Sorry to hear about your situation...

Go for the job and give it your all, hopefully you will get it, it may be low paying but at least you will be in work, earning something then, it will hopefully give you a bit of motivation back and you never know what doors it may open once you are in!

I know what a kick in the teeth it feels like to go through a long application process and be a runner up, that has happened a couple of times to me now... My advice when this happens is just sulk for a day then pick yourself up and get on with things, I'm sure it will pay off eventually :)

Can't really give you any advice as I am also trying hard to get a job... so I can empathise (sort of) but just stick with it man, go for that job, hopefully get it and you will immediately feel better about yourself :)

Certifications: VCP,MCSA, MCP, MCDST, MCITP, MCTS, A+, N+
  6. Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox Bit Poster

OK sorry, as you have a handful of experience it may be worth going to a job like this and advertising your skills. Try and sell yourself and maybe hopefully they will either take you on at a higher role, or create a job for you. Obviously nothing is guaranteed but it obviously costs nothing to try this sort of approach and the worst they can say is 'sorry we have nothing for you'. Obviously if going for an entry level IT job you could sell yourself as overqualified which is another worry.

I can just say, be confident in your skills and go for it.

7. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Yeh I think we know that too :rolleyes:

8. Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox Bit Poster

I was just trying to offer a fresh perspective, my apologies if they werent fresh enough.
    Back to my box..

9. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

My apologies. I didn't mean to sound disparaging. Both myself and the OP have been aorund in IT for over 10 years tho' and if you were to read around our posts on the forum you would see that.

There can be many reasons why we can't get into work - some may be highly personal and not suitable for broadcast on a public forum. The OP was just ahving a rant to let off steam and I was just expre4ssing how dire the situation currently is, experienced or not.