Job interview

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Alex Wright, May 3, 2007.

1. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

Hi,

After months and months and months of applying for entry level positions I've finally managed to get myself an interview allbeit a telephone interview for a Helpdesk Trainee Support Engineer.

I was hoping that some of you that have been in a similar position could advise on what sort of questions I can expect to be asked on what sort of questions I should be asking them. Any tips on staying composed would also be welcome! :D

The role is described as follows:

As a Helpdesk Trainee Support Engineer, you’ll be trained to answer support calls from a wide variety of end users who work at Future. You’ll be assisting the helpdesk resolve calls and be trained to use remote software and solve queries, gradually handling more challenging queries throughout the training process. You will be working as part of the helpdesk team where you’ll log and monitor all helpdesk support and request calls. As well as gaining knowledge and using specific tools and processes used within the team, you’ll be prioritising the desktop engineering resource, managing IT requests and liaising with end users.

In addition to solving queries, you’ll have the opportunity to get involved in obtaining quotes and placing orders for equipment, as well as the acceptable use policy auditing of all company PC’s and Macs.

All advice welcome - please help!

AW

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I would think that the sort of questions they may ask you would revolve around call job priorities, and how you would assign them.

You will most likely get quizzed about what you know about certain applications as it stands so that they can get a picture of where your current skill level is at.

This role sounds a lot more like they want to test your customer services skills than your technical skills.

8)

3. Alex Wright

They've invited me in for an interview next Wednesday. The lady on the phone said that they'd like to put me through some technical tests. Any ideas on what sort of tests these will be? I'd like to be prepared on the day!

Ta,

AW

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Honestly, they could test on just about anything. I doubt you could cram for EVERY eventuality between now and then. Don't overly stress - in my opinion, if you're qualified for the job, you'll likely do quite well on the test.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

I agree with BM - If you meet your "objectives" for the role, you shouldn't have a problem with the "technical" questions, as there shouldn't be technical in your eyes.... These "technical" questions are generally "technical" for those who dont know their stuff...

Good luck

6. Alex Wright

Thanks guys, much obliged! :D

7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yup what they said and good luck mate 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. Alex Wright

Hi,

I got the job! Thank you very much for your support, encouragement and advice during these past few months.

Yipee!!!

Alex :D

9. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Many congrats Alex! :biggrin

10. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Congrats mate, excellent stuff! :D

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  11. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Good news and congrats:biggrin

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Congratulations, Alex. :D

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  13. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Excellent news mate, congrats.:)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  14. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

Well done, determination can pay off!

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. Alex Wright

Oh yeah I forgot to mention - the best part of the job is that the company really beleives in investing in its staff.

They've agreed to pay the fees for my Computing degree and they have excellent in house training.

I can't wait to get started!

Again, many thanks to you all!

Alex :smilescol

17. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Wow, sounds like you've landed a brilliant opportunity there mate, you deserve it though, good luck :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  18. Alex Wright

Certainly is - I'm looking forward to getting started!

19. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Congrats Alex, that job sounds brilliant 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  20. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Congrats mate, sounds like you have landed a good job! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs