Job interview with Apple for mac genius!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Davidh1819, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Davidh1819

Davidh1819 Nibble Poster

Hi Everyone i am not happy with my current employment for many reasons

For some reason i sent my CV to the apple website a few days later i got an e-mail saying they were considering me for a job on the genius bar, I guese all my certs prove my technical compitence to them because 1000s of people apply for apple stores jobs and i got chosen and i dont even own a mac lol.

I have an interview comming up with them i have been a microsoft technicain for 3 years, Im Just wondering is this a good idea to work for apple will it look good or bad on a CV for future IT jobs ?

Certifications: A+ N+ MCP MCDST MCTS MCITP
  2. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Depends what you did previously, are we talking about them tits that stand around in the Apple store?

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  3. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

David, experiance is never a bad thing, and working at the genius bar will give you both problem resolution and customer facing skills - apple are renowned for their customer service so that will look good.

As for harming long term chances? I dont think so, and some companies do run Mac's as a mixed environment so if and when you move on targerting those kind of companies will stand you in good stead.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. reddevil12

reddevil12 Megabyte Poster

Have you had a bad experience with them lol :D

Certifications: a+
    WIP: 70-270 / 70-680
  5. westernkings

One of them touched me :cry:

Seriously though, no wonder Apples products are so expensive, they have like 1 staff for every 2 customers in them shops. And they are all so cool and hip. Aren't they like the Tech Guys of the Mac world?

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  6. trebor_88

trebor_88 Byte Poster

I think they are, but I would imagine the money will be good as will the training?

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCSA, MCITP:EDST, MCTS:7
    WIP: VMware VCP 5, MCSE and CCNA
  7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

The problem with this is that the job you're going for isn't a technical job at all. You will be a customer service/sales rep. Not a problem for you if you don't mind dipping out of the IT industry, but it might not look that great on your CV is, after a couple of years you decide you want to get back into some real work.

If you want the extra money, take the job - but treat it as a career change, or a stop-gap job between IT roles.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  8. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I agree with Zeb, he made a good point.

When I finished school I had the opportunity to work for Best Buy in the computer section. I never ended up taking it because I knew it wasn't really a technical role but more of a sales role. In the end look at it as what's best for you. Good luck!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  9. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

I've had to deal with the Genius Bar at the local Apple Store, and they weren't in a sales role. The people in front of the counter were pretty much 1st line help desk guys. They also have people in the back who work on the computers, so there's a fair chance that you could be doing technical work.

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I notice you didn't say that you've dealt with any real Geniuses at the Apple Store. :twisted:

EDIT: Don't you dare tell Richard I said that! :D

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. Davidh1819

Davidh1819 Nibble Poster

Well if the money is good enough to justify the transport costs getting into london i think i will take it. my current place is small with no perks and other bad things on the other hand apple is a massive company with loads of perks plus the apple store is very clean and sterile a very good working enviroment if you ask me.

Certifications: A+ N+ MCP MCDST MCTS MCITP
  12. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

Good for you and well done!
    Good luck with the interview:)

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  13. westernkings

Loads of perks? like what? I know someone who worked there and they got a discount that was it, and it wasn't even the same discount as the education sector gets.

Do not make a correlation between company size and the amount of opportunities and perks because all it is likely to mean is that you probably have less chance of getting anywhere due to the competition from other employees.

I'd personally re consider, stick where you are but keep looking for another role, I really can see this being a step backwards and regardless of what your day to day work involves, I can see it being looked at on your CV just like the Geek Squad are.

Besides that, assuming it isn't just sales and is first line support. How niche is your skill set going to be moving on from this role? do you wait 5 years hoping you get that promotion in a company that could frankly choose anyone is bloody well wanted from graduate schemes across the world? or do you leave after a couple of years wanting to go up the ladder, only to realise that the only experience you have is fixing macs? and not even in a business environment? and then where do you go?

I think this is diluting your skills and taking you away from providing business support. You are going to be essentially working in a computer shop, which while good for troubleshooting why entourage won't open on my MacPro, it won't do much for your skills on the business side, so Domains and what not.

14. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You get to use quick time and if you dare use flash for anything you will get sacked :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  15. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

Good luck if you go for it :D

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals
  16. Willlee

Willlee New Member

I would go for the interview even if you don’t won’t the job just to brush up on intervening skills

Good luck!

WIP: mcse
  17. chuckliddell

chuckliddell Banned

yes you should go to the interview at least :) always good to brush up on things and the MOT 'AT LEAST I TRIED'