Job Interview Tips please.

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by jamin100, Jun 2, 2009.

1. jamin100

jamin100 Byte Poster

Hi Guys,

Bit about me...

Currently working in the education sector for a 2 form entry primary school with just over 500 users.
    I'm the ICT Technician (26) and have 5 S2k3 servers, 150 XP client machines, IWB's, printers etc. I've been working in schools as IT Technician for just under 7 years. I have no technical certifications though

I've got an interview this Friday for the position of ICT Manager at a prestigious high school in my area. Its more of a managerial role as the successful candidate will be managing 3 full time technicians, ICT budget, ICT policies and the overall performance of the network and many more things i imagine.

The interviewing school have already requested references from the details on my application form and I have to fill in a CRB before the interview and take it with me on Friday. Is this normal practice to ask for all of this before the interview? As far as im aware these are things that are usually asked for after the interview has taken place.

The interview starts mid morning with the usual task, technical interview and final interview. Does anyone have any advice they can offer me? I'm not too fussed about the technical side of things as in the past i've done really well in the little tests they set. Its just the actual interview bit that I feel i let myself down on.

I've very little managerial experience in IT, although i was a floor manager at mcdonalds whilst i was at college, but in IT i started at the bottom. I'm only 26, do you think that my age will go against me for this position and perhaps they would be looking for someone with a little more life experience?

Sorry for the long post, just starting to get a little nervous now . . . .

Thanks in advance

WIP: 70-680
  2. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

www.edugeek.net - look there for tips.

Not to be rude or anything but just wondering would you feel comfortable in setting up a domain from scratch with over 500 comps. Including all that involved e.g. Cloning.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  3. jamin100

jamin100 Byte Poster

Yes not a problem, I re-created our whole domain here about 2 years ago when i upgraded all our servers, with only a few minor hiccups but nothing that searching on the net couldn't resolve. As for cloning, I do it a lot. I tend to re-image all our client machines in the summer holidays using Norton ghost. I install MS updates with WSUS 3 and the appropriate group policy settings and then install any software needed throughout the year again using Norton ghosts AI package.

WIP: 70-680
  4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Let me come at this from a different direction.

What is it that you think enables you to manage 3 other members of the ICT Team? Why don't you have any certs? Why would I hire you over someone who has previous ICT Management experience?. Do you have any experience of handling junior members of staff? Mentoring? How would you resolve issues between two members of staff who are experiencing issues? Why would the three ICT staff come to you for guidance and advice with you having no formal IT qualifications?

These are all potential questions that could be asked, you need to ensure that you don't get flustered, can answer them swiftly, honestly and calmly.

You should also be prepared to explain what it is you can offer them that the others can't.

Age shouldn't be an issue, experience could well be though.

One thing you should always remember, you got the interview, as far as you should be concerned, the job is yours to lose (after all, they liked you enough to get you into the interview, it's your answers there that will win or lose it for you).

Use your experiences in the academic environment to let them know you are capable of getting the job done.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA