Job Interview Monday Feb 23rd 09

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by loneferret, Feb 20, 2009.

1. loneferret

loneferret Byte Poster

Well after being kicked in the nuts by BosonMichael in my "introducing myself" thread, I sent out a few CVs yesterday. Found a few spots in and around my area looking for IT guys.
    Seeing that I haven't worked with computers for a while, I decided to apply for the "Online IT support/Helpdesk" positions.

Well, got a call today from a spot in my home town. We chatted a bit, asked me if I was available Monday. Of course I said yes. Then I asked him a little about the "Helpdesk" position, he said "well it's just support over the phone for our clients, but I was wanting to ask you about other positions seeing that you've worked for *a competitor* and have experience on Linux systems". Well this took me back, since no where did these said positions where mentioned anywhere on the job search site I found, nor on the company's website. He finished off by saying "...well we'll talk about all of this Monday, and see what you would like to do, and how you can fit in the IT team over here."

So, I'm happy I suppose and at the same time nervous (then again that could be the coffee talking). As long as the work environment is clean and fun. As long as I don't have to work with the *Marketing department... everything should be fine. :)

Thanks for everyone that told me to look now... LOL
    Wish me luck...

*nudge to all of you who have to deal with them...

Certifications: MCDST/N+/L+/i-Net+/CIW/OSCP/OSCE
    WIP: MCTS 70-662
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Time to change my avatar...

[​IMG]

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. loneferret

loneferret Byte Poster

Man I miss that comic strip...

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Cool, good luck, let us know how you get on :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

good luck :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. WIT1000

WIT1000 Bit Poster

Make sure you steer clear of the coffee on monday then!!:D..........GOOD LUCK

Certifications: 70-271 mcp
    WIP: MCDST
  7. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Good luck!:D

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  8. Sofista

Sofista Bit Poster

Good luck on Monday :-)

Certifications: A+, MCTS, MCITP, MCP,
    WIP: Network +, MCDST
  9. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Good luck!

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  10. loneferret

loneferret Byte Poster

UPDATE:

Well it's almost 5:30am EST here, so bear with me when it comes to writing.

Went to my job interview yesterday evening. It lasted about an hour and a half (a bit more). Pretty long
    for a help-desk position. Asked a lot of questions about me, my studies, all my places of employment.
    My likes and dislikes. It was a good change from all other interviews I had in the past. This one
    wasn't as "formal" and less intimidating. Still a nervous wreck tho...

They asked me several times on the "why are you applying on a help-desk job". Answered those pretty
    well I suppose. Was honest with them, and myself, when saying that I wasn't going to apply to a position that I new I couldn't handle and also I do enjoy help-desk work. This brougth the question "Then you'd prefer something more challenging then in the future?". Again was honest, said that where there's a help-desk, there's an IT department. Threw the idea that a help-desk position was a good spring-board to enter such a department. And they agreed. There follow-up question was something like "So if you got the help-desk position and we threw in more IT problems you would be happy with that?". As always, told them them the truth, and said yes it would make the job more exciting and challenging.

There was one moment that seemed to concern them, it had to do with the fact I worked for a "competitor" in the region. In the beginning we spoke about my experiences there, and the fact that I know the owner very well outside the work place. So near the end, he asked about confidentiality if I ever worked for them, would I tell my friend (or former boss) about the various contracts etc. Pretty sure I got out of that one pretty well. I mentioned that I'm aware of the importance of confidentiality in the work place, and also mentioned that through out the interview I never mentioned once where I worked when the "competitor" sent me out on contract work. Assured him I'd do the same with him.
    So in the end, he was pleased that I could "keep a secret".

So to make a long story short. It went very well, and the position I may end up getting will be a bit more then help-desk work, with "training" along with it to eventually move up into the IT department. They were pleased, mentioned that they see potential and see I could be a good addition to the team.

Now the fun part: waiting. Should get an answer within the next 2 weeks.

11. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Sounds like it went ok mate :)

Let us know when you hear back!

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  12. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Let us know what they say.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  13. loneferret

loneferret Byte Poster

Thx for the vote of confidence. Must say in general it went well. Pretty sure they appreciated the fact that I was honest with my skills and wasn't affraid to say "I don't know this/that" or "I know the theory but never practiced it" attitude... or what I call honesty. They did ask me some technical questions regarding Windows and Linux, and I know I passed those questions.

But still, this doesn't mean I have the job. At least I'm back in "interview" mode so early in my job search. Win or lose this job, something good came out of it.

14. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

fingers crossed!

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  15. BosonMichael

I know that sort of honest attitude matters a LOT when I interview people. You did well, man.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  16. loneferret

loneferret Byte Poster

Well got an update:

Just got a this morning, and I start Monday. Have no clue what I'll be doing, but it won't be helpdesk.
    For now, it's a 1 month contract doing something, a sort of test run I suppose. Will be getting
    some training on various things... yeah not many details, but believe me the guy on the phone
    wasn't really giving me any. I'll know more Monday.

17. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Grats! :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  18. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Nice one, well done!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  19. BosonMichael

Major congrats!

You owe me a dollar (see avatar). 8)

20. loneferret

loneferret Byte Poster

Do you have Paypal? hehehe