Job Interview....hmmmm

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Ropenfold, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

Good evening all, hope you are well

Had a strange moment earlier, someone had actually emailed me with a job interview offer! Most strange! It seems they saw my CV on monster and liked what they saw. Its for an IT Technical Support Analyst. I like the look of it although I might come unstuck with any questions on exchange 2003, I haven't got that far yet!

The interview is on Tuesday, so its a weekend with the PC and textbooks for me!!

Any suggestions on what I should expect?

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Not sure on what you will expect but good luck in the interview :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

An interview. :) Beyond that, the only one who truly knows is the employer.

Best of luck!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. minkey

minkey Bit Poster

good luck with the interview

Certifications: dove-dipolma of vocational education
    WIP: COMPTIA A+ with equals
  5. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Best of luck with the interview. 8)

Be honest and, if you don't know something say so. If your CV doesn't show you know Exchange, then they will have taken that into account when they decided to contact you.

Don't forget to tell them if you're self-studying the MCDST. It shows you're wanting to push yourself to learn more, and develop your knowledge.

Another thing... research the company on the 'net, if you can. It's always good to be prepared.

Oh... and get your own questions ready. As a manager, I like it when people ask me questions. It shows they're thinking about the work/tasks.

6. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

...Good luck! Monster is great for that!!

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Good luck, let us know how you get on :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. Ropenfold

Thanks guys, as always wise words.

Yeah I'm gonna ask them about the amount of users, type of network, day to day duties, chances of progression, I might ask them about any up and coming software roll outs they may be having or upgrades in the near future. I have a date for my first MCDST exam in April so I'll certainly make them aware of that.

I'm going to research the company over the weekend and make sure I can answer any questions. th interview is at 3 and I'm going to United V Lyon at old trafford on the evening so my dad is gonna have to have the car running in the car park so we can get away quick!!!

9. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Good luck with the interview. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  10. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Good luck on the interview!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  11. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Well done without really trying. :shades
    Best of luck on the interview. :)

12. Ropenfold

Had the interview yesterday. The job is the Holy grail for anyone on here pretty much a 1st line support upwards, basically they want someone who with potential they can train right up to 3rd line. It went ok, I prepared as well as I could but I dunno if it was enough, it was the first time I’ve gone for an interview for a job of this type or (indeed a job I actually really wanted!) It was all new to me and I think that showed a bit. They asked me loads of questions which I answered reasonably well but I cocked up on a couple, to test a network connection I'd ping the loopback address which is 169. Yes I know now thats wrong!!!! . I’ve learned loads from it so I’ll definately do better at the next interview, if I don’t get this job.

I'm also gonna put out an email to my mates to get hold of some old rinky dink PC's that I can set up a network with, What would be the min requirements to run server 2003 and what sort of programs would you guy suggest I install on it, stuff that you use everyday in the workplace?