Job Hunting Advice

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by arisen, Jan 4, 2006.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If a kid is coming out of college with two years of work experience, they probably won't be pursuing entry-level jobs... because they've already entered the field if they've got work experience.

Is it possible for you to compete against kids coming right out of college who have no work experience? Sure... but their degree will give them an advantage. That's why you should get the A+ certification to give you an advantage over those who don't have it. Certifications aren't a golden ticket... but some solid entry-level certifications will certainly get you more noticed than if you didn't have anything.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. Fraxinus

Fraxinus New Member

Thanks for the support,
    just read Arisen's post 'how i got into it' and have applied to some charities for volunteer posts to get some field time, from a link in it.

WIP: A+
  3. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

10) Good points I must have more hungry for the job I going for
    11) TCP/IP as "that Internet protocol thingy" - lol

Grate read thanks for posting.

4. Anto

Anto New Member

Hey, thanks a lot for the link. Nice advice to help out us rookies :D

5. Sequeler

Sequeler Bit Poster

Sorry, but the link is broken.

WIP: CCNA
  6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Most probably because the 1st post in this thread was over 2 years ago.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

It works for me. Perhaps check some settings? Or problems with your ISP?

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

It works for me too, maybe try flushing your DNS resolver cache :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. swethakottam

swethakottam New Member

I can say go and search job on job search engines rather than going to each career page and manually finding jobs. Jobmixi.com , indeed are some of the job search engines I have encountered.

10. Robs12

Robs12 New Member

haha you can tell when someone is asking for help on an IT Forum. Most forums its "have you tried turning it off and on again". Get the proper command prompts round here!

Certifications: BA(Hons) Music
    WIP: CompTIA A+
  11. leaderworld

leaderworld New Member

What you want to do in IT forum, Are you a student.

***removed spam link***

12. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

Great link Arisen ;) given me a good insight to how interviewers perceive me now :biggrin

Since you passed your Buisness Computing Degree and aqquired the certs, you haven't got any work experience in the IT field to this date????

WIP: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST
  13. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

GBL's post was back in 2007... :D

14. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

Thats still 8 years.. :eek: If I wait that long I think I will have forgotten almost everything Ive learn't.

It kind of scares me thinking that, you seem like an intelligent guy... how come it took you so long or you weren't really looking that hard but just snooping around????

WIP: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST
  15. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

He got his certs quite recently, but he's been doing stuff around IT for a couple of years I think... anyway, I'll let GBL reply.

16. IT2009

IT2009 Byte Poster

Maybe he had to wait from some reason. Life is not always strightforward.

Certifications: MCP, HND Business Information Systems
    WIP: A+
  17. gregbuchanan10

gregbuchanan10 New Member

I am the same. I am getting a little worried now. It is 8 months until i leave the navy and need a job for when i do leave. the only problem is all the recruitment agencies are saying i should not even contact them until about 5 - 6 weeks before leaving. Is this right and can any body help me? I have never worked as a civilian having joined the forces at 16. I am in the process of obtaining my MCSE but have only completed the CompTIA A+ so far.

Certifications: CompTIA A+
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA, RHCE
  18. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

If you think about why most companies need new personnel then 5-6 weeks is about right.
    If someone is sacked, they want a replacement asap, not in 1 month and certainly not in 8 months.
    If someone leaves they want a replacement as soon as they've worked their notice, which is probably around 2-4 weeks.

Personally, I'd concentrate on other things until about 2 months before you leave. Finding a job is pretty much a full-time job in itself.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  19. Biggjoe81

Biggjoe81 Bit Poster

Interesting piece, thnx mate

20. HenryKnight

HenryKnight New Member

I think it's actually pretty tough to get into IT these days unless you're very good.
    Many companies we work with have their own bespoke set of tools to suit their business - so while one company may use say Wordpress, Hootsuite and Mailchimp in the day-to-day running of the company another may focus more on Joomla, social media and Analytics.

So a broad range of knowledge and the ability to pick up new technologies is very important.

But hey, let's remember that most of this stuff is just clicking buttons and that you're a part of the most successful species to ever walk the planet.