Job First, Certs Later or Vice Versa?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Jaron78, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Hi Guys,

As some of you may know, I am looking to break into IT. Starting as a Desktop Support Tech / 1st Line Helpdesk and then working up to a MCP Cert, followed by a CISCO cert. Done some research and used the Forums quite a bit and finally decided on what path to follow.

However, I am currently at Stage 1 trying to break into IT.

At the moment, I dont have any certs and am working towards the A+ / Network +.. Over the last couple of months I have been applying for entry level roles. My question being, would it be better to work towards the certs on my own, or would it be better to keep trying to break into IT Support first, then look at the exams as I will have the extra hands on experience?

Cheers,

Ron

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Ron, the basic idea of certs is to prove your experience, if you get a cert but don't have the experience it can in my opinion cause you more issues than good. Saying that though, I would probably suggest the A+ and something like the MCDST once you do have the experience and then progress up from there.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

I agree with Simon and would add A+, N+ and MCDST or possibly one of the newer MCITP:EDST7 certs. A+ and N+ are a great foundation however, I'd start with them and see if you can land a helpdesk/1st line support position. What you don't want is to spend a fortune of getting certified only to be knocked back because you don't have the experience. Good Luck, Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Cheers Guys, thats the plan. A+, N+, MCP (MCDST), then Cisco. Thats the worry I have, dont want to go out and get certs only to be knocked back for lack of experience. I am thinking of just doing freelance work for a few months in my spare time. Would that be considered experience for a Helpdesk role?

5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

As said A+,N+ and MCDST are great entry level certs.

CISCO certs like CCNA are any good unless you actually work with CISCO kit.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Actually, it should be A+, Network+, MCDST, then full stop until you get enough experience to take on any further exams.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!