Job advice!?!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Smorg, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Smorg

Smorg Bit Poster

Hi all
    Just after a little advice please. I have just finished a course at Cerco Training. The course was really good and I learnt a hell of a lot. They help you get your 1st job in the IT world and I have been offered one! Its a Field Service engineer for a company that does all the warranty work and installation stuff for Dell. The thing is that the pay is v wierd. They give you a £175 a week and then pay you for every call out you do. It's banded so anything under 30 miles is £8, under £40 is £9 etc. So, basically your earnings depend on how many jobs you do per day. My main concern is that they give you 45p per mile (use your own vehicle) but you can only claim this back at the end of the financial year!!!! Never heard of that before!
    Also, your classed as being self employed. That also frightens me a little - no understanding of that at all!
    A few people tell me that if you know how to do it there are loads of loopholes you can exploit and you can make good money through the tax man!
    Thing is I would be accredited by Dell, plus I could do it for 12 months and have that valubale 1 yr experience before I move on. Also, don't know how long it would be before I was offered another job! Potentially I could earn quite well, but also I could earn v bad! IS it worth just taking the risk as it's a job after all?!?
    Sorry so long!
    Thanks guys
    Smorg

WIP: A+
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Definately worth it Smorg.

I have heard of other companies operating in a simillar way to this, essentially you are a subcontractor of Dell. They don't pay you each month, you charge them for your services. I've never heard of only being able to claim your mileage at the end of each year? I would check with them on this, as year is a long time to wait to pay for your petrol!

I can't really say much about the tax and stuff like that, but I do know people who are self employed and they seem to 'benefit'.

The only thing that you will have to ask yourself though is how many jobs could you do in a day? 30 miles in one direction, and then 30 miles in the other for the next job takes its time.

8)

3. Smorg

Smorg Bit Poster

Thanks Simon. Yeah, it's deffo the end of the financial year when I would get any expenses back.
    Never been 'self employed' before and it's a little scary!
    I think I would be a fool not to take it though as it would be great experience as both an engineer and customer service. Plus the dell accreditation would look good on my CV. Would you agree?

WIP: A+
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Well, it can't do any harm can it!

(Unless of course in the future you go for a job and the IT manager is fiercly (sp?) against Dell! :twisted: )

5. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I have to look at this as sort of a cost benefit thing.

How much do you pay for gas (petrol) there? How efficient is your car with a gallon of fuel? How long would it take you to drive 30 miles one way? What would the fuel costs be for a 60 mile round trip? What is the average cost per mile for driving a car there? You must find out if you will actually make enough money to cover your expenses. At the rates quoted per call, I doubt it.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  6. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I've been self employed and im now doin my tax returns for the last year... Like you said if you know what yor doin you can benefit.

like on petrol.. yes you can only claim it back at end of tax year (its way the tax works!) and you can only cliam for use for work not private useage so you need to keep all reciepts for fuel and work out how much you used for work and try claiming that back... I have £1300 for last 6 months fuel im claiming for as it was all work related....

However your only taxed on your net profits (everything left after deductions) and then only on the amount above your personal allowence (summat like £4750) then its something like on the first £2700 its 10% taxed then upto £27500 another 10% and onwards and upwards....

What you do is try and make sure your net profits are low...... mine come under my personal allowence due to only working for 6 months in the year.

Also if dell state your working at home then you can claim a small amount of your phone, gas, water, electric and caouncil tax for business use. If you have a room set aside as an office only then you can devide the bills by number of rooms and claim that amount, if not you have to suggest an amount that you think is appropriate for the use of the room...

check out http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/selfemployed/ for info on goin self employed!

Hopes it helps and good luck in the job!!

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  7. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

Nice link Twizzle- ctrl+d @ that one :thumbleft

Cheers.

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

On a side-note - remember the insurance implications of having someone else's equipment in your home if need be. I always keep this in mind when assessing if I can take a "wee job" on or not. How long is someone else's kit gonna be in your house/ workplace ?

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  9. mrvolleyball

mrvolleyball Bit Poster

You may also want to check your car insurance, to make sure you are covered to use the car for work purposes.