Job advice.

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Sco0t, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Sco0t

Sco0t Byte Poster

Hi, was just wanting some advice. Bit of background for people that dont know. I'm currently at uni just now completing 3rd year doing a degree in Networking and systems support (plan on staying on for hons). But I know this industry (networking) is all about experience, so have been looking at some jobs. I'm currently working part time at Lloyds TSB, good job good money hah! But I'm wanting experience in doing networking so when i finished my honours I have some experience with it. Any advice on where to go? Would it be 1st line support? Anything above that? I know about placements looking into that too. I seen this: https://o2jobs.o2.com/OA_HTML/OA.jsp?OAFunc=IRC_VIS_VAC_DISPLAY&p_svid=69218&p_spid=2941163 what do you think? Would be that be sufficient enough experience for a year or 2?

Certifications: Bsc Net/Sys Support, HND Tech Support
    WIP: Network+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yes, that would be a good job to get you some experience. But, remember, network administration is a few steps up the IT career ladder. Most people work their way up from entry-level tech to desktop support to server administration to network administration. Take it one step at a time, and you'll likely do well.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Actually that's what I am doing at the moment, trying to get to Networking. I started as a desktop support guy and I am slowly starting to do more and more networking stuff. Eventually you get to be a network admin after you have the experience and knowledge. But it does take time, doesn't just happen over a year.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA