JBC Training

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Knave, Jun 7, 2005.

1. whalley_range

whalley_range New Member

I've completed the seven week course, very glad I went on it. I went on it as a graduate, so didn't have to pay anything towards the teaching.

Its very intensive and i'm defiently no expert in the fields that they cover, but it has given me a groudning to work from.

The help with CV's and job interviews is also worth while.

They keep you on their books for two years after you have completed the course as well. They offer you job support and also other you work in your area when something comes up.

Certifications: BSc
    WIP: A+ and N+
  2. Paul_o

Paul_o Nibble Poster

i am three weeks through their 7 week course. as i am working i am doing the course in blocks finishing the rest of the course next year. it starts off with the assuption that you have no knowledge of IT, i found the first couple of weeks a little tedious as i have previous experience. in my group there were 13 people, the skill level ranged from zero to people who had degree's in computing and there was even an MCSE, also a few ex forces people. in a room next to ours there was a group who were in week five and 8 out of about 14 people had found work. the course uses A+, N+, 70-270, 70-290 study material. the weeks i did broke down as - one week hardware, one week operating systems, one week networks and network topology. when i go back one week will be windows xp pro and one week server 2003 and a week working with cisco equipment. obviously in a week you only scratch the surface but the instructors slant the lectures to what you hopefully need to know in a working environment. a key part of the course is the job search sesions, these give you tips on writing cv's, interview's, translating job adverts you are encouraged to apply for any job where you feel confident you can carry out 40% of what the advert requires, the theory being that many adverts ask for far to many skills that the job requires. the course is not cheap but it gives you a good grounding in IT and is very hands on. JBC does have a good track record for the training they provide.
    sorry for the long post but several people have asked for info on JBC and hopefully this post answers a few questions.

Paul

Certifications: C&G Advanced diploma in network support
  3. Robster

Robster New Member

I came across this thread looking for feedback from people who've done the course with JBC.

I've just signed up to start the course in Feb. I'm pretty confident in the quality of the training on offer. I'll post back when I've done the course to say how it went, in case its useful to others.

4. Paul_o

Paul_o Nibble Poster

Hi mate when are you starting the course in Feb. I am going back to do week four starting Feb 26, so if your course starts Feb 5 i'll see you on the 26th.

Paul.

5. Robster

Robster New Member

Yeah that's right, I'm starting on the 5th so the 26th would be my 4th week so I guess I'll see you then.

How many weeks are you doing this time?

6. AndyPenman

AndyPenman New Member

Did my training with JBC in July 2005, think I shared the same class as Knave:dry , and have to say that I was impressed by the quality of the training given. The formalisation of the knowledge certainly gave me a hand up in getting into the IT job market.

I'm certainly considering using one of my learning grants to go back to them and do some intense certification study

WIP: MCDST
  7. Paul_o

Paul_o Nibble Poster

Good to hear you found the course helped you, before i went to jbc i was in contact with one ex pupil who also found it a great help in gaining employment in IT. looking forward to finishing weeks 3 and 4 this year and then looking for a job.

Paul.

8. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

Hi! My name is Paul and i'm new to this forum.

I like many others on this forum, am thinking about doing the 7 week IT/NETWORK SUPPORT training course.
    I have many question's such as:

1) How useful was the course in terms of 'content'? / Did it cover stuff you thougth was relavnt to industry?
    2) How long from completing the course did they find work?
    3) What typical roles in indsutry can I go on to apply / obtain?
    4) Was the accomodation that they provided satisfactory and how far was it from stoneleigh house?
    5) Is the City and Guilds qualification that they offer, actually worth much?
    6) OVERALL: Was it worth 7 weeks of your time???

Many Thanks.

Paul D :D :D