JBC Training???

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Johno, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Johno

Johno New Member

Advice needed!!!

I am currently in the process of leaving the army and have decided to go into IT, I am entitled to money for education but has to be used at an approved supplier. The best one i seem to be able to find is JBC Training. http://www.jbctraining.co.uk/armed-forces/about-armed-forces.html Has anyone trained with or know anything about them. Also they seem very vague about what qualifications you get after doing the 7 week intensive training course. It looks as if i would have to sit the final exams externally and pay for them seperately.

Also does anyone know any other good training providers who do a good deal for a foundation in IT, i am hoping to do CCNA and MCSA first.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2010
  2. AndyPenman

AndyPenman New Member

Johno, I used JBC for my resettlement in 2006 so this information may not be as up to date as others but FWIW, at that time I used the Employment Guarantee Scheme and the only paper quals that you come out with are a couple of ONSC/City & Guilds level ones. However, again depending on what course you do, the formalisation of knowledge and having it turned into civvy speak was quite good. The manuals that they gave(A+, N+ and Security+) were in house produced but did seem to follow the COMPTIA published ones. The manuals for Microsoft were the proper Microsoft Published ones though.

Caveat Emporer, Bill is a salesman first and foremost although a pretty good one it has to be admitted :) but he will be able to give you more of an insight in how to spend any hard earned ELC Credits and if you are looking at using them for the CCNA or MCSE route then you may well leave there with another couple of courses booked.

You could also try Firebrand IT (they are also on the ELCAS list) their courses seem a bit more intense than the JBC ones but it will be horses for courses (no pun intended).

I also don't know if you have been down for their open day/evaluation it is a good way of having a non commital look around the facilities.

WIP: MCDST
  3. Timostag

Timostag Bit Poster

They were recommended to me by a recuitment agency yesterday, she said they encourage graduates to go there, but I would like to hear what someone who has been there thinks as she might just be on comission for sending people there

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
    Certifications: A+,MTA:Networking, MTA: Server Fundamentals MTA:Operating Systems MTA:Security Fundamentals ITIL Foundation
  4. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

Hi Johno,

Have you checked your in box and read the P.M I sent previously.

Like I mentioned in that, JBC offer their own in house certs, normally with a city and guilds. Any other certs are studied and paid for in addition to the training you are conducting.

We have had at least 7 students this year who have re-done their training with us after leaving them. Read in to that what you will.

If you don't fancy our services take a look at Bluescreen I.T down in Plymouth for the Microsoft courses and Commsupport for the Cisco stuff, they get very good reviews on here. As training providers they are the only other two I would personally recommend.

Firebrand are also good, but as mentioned the training is intense and definately not for those retraining.

As far as funding your courses is concerned also take a look at the P.M. There should be no need to use your Enhanced Learning Credit allowance if you can work the resettlement system to your advantage.

If you let me know how many years you have served, I can do a quick break down for you with the best way to use your allowances.

Certifications: CCNP, CCSI, MCSE W2k/W2k3, MCITP_SA
    WIP: Taking it easy for a while.
  5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Surely that just depends on the training you're doing?? I mean if you go to them doing an MCITP then of course you're going to suffer with no prior experience but if you're going to them (or to be fair any other training provider) for any of the Comptia courses then as it's going to be entry level there are going to be no pre-requisites and as such you're all starting on a level playing field.

I am a big fan of Firebrand, Global Knowledge, QAIQ and the like, they are professional run and expect you to have the required experience.

One thing I do have to stress is not to over qualify, go for the Comptia certs but don't go for the MCSE\MCITP for another couple of years, wait to get the commercial experience and then go for them.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA