JBC computer ltd

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by hazzaldo, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

The truth is, people do not get paid the equivalent amount the world over. A person can earn roughly the same in Aussie dollars as they would in English pounds i.e if a hairdresser earns say 20000 pounds, they will be able to earn roughly $20000AU. Even though the pound is worth 2.5 Aussie dollars.

Having said that the standard of living here is much higher 8)

If we were to earn the same amount as in the UK, we would be laughing all the way to the bank :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Also Wages/Salaries in the UK very a lot from region to region.

My job now I am being paid 17300 a year but I know if I was doing it in Leeds I would be getting around mid 20k and theres only 112 mile difference

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

Is there anyone out there that has actually completed the 7 week course?

What were the prospects? Did you find a job? What was your starting salary (if you dont mind sayin)

FatP :)

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If I saw a CV from someone with an MCSE and CCNA with no experience, I'd laugh, shake my head, and toss it into the trash. Sorry, mate, advanced certifications without experience are absolutely useless.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. vakupa

vakupa New Member

hi matey,

i have been to JBC Computers to do this course and i would recomend it to anyone who wants to get their feet into IT. i did this from may-june this year, and it launched my career in a big way - what they teach basically are the basics of Microsft XP (installation and configuration) + Server 2003 (AD + DHCP, DNS) , A+ and N+ and cisco routers (a wee bit) as well as extensive fault finding and diagnostics - now here you DONT ACTUALLY STUDY ALL THESE CERT. IN 7 DAYS - but they give you enough info. so you can find jobs in the first line support roles eg Helpdesk Support, network Support, Technical advisors - those kinda jobs. The certficate you will end up wih is the City and Guilds level 2&3 certifiate for IT Practioners (i've got one :D )

also you get lectures on how to write very good eye catching CV's for the first line helpdest jobs, im doing a contract job at £10/h but one of my ex classmate from there got a £20k job a week before we were due to finish in bristol! :cry: anyhoo, i really enjoyed my time in Coventry - living in Earlsdon street a short walk for the training centre

hope that helps matey

6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

20k a week??? im in the wrong job

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. greenbrucelee

20k a week where do I sign :D

8. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Looks like this course gives marks...*ahem*... students NVQs lvl 2& 3. Seems to be the general consensus from those who posted who have already been on the course. If this is the case, then I suspect that This might be of interest.

What concerns me, is that NVQs are not supposed to be courses that are taught to you, in order to pass. They are supposed to be acknowledgements of skills you already possess. That said, most certs are designed like that too. The logbook seems to indicate that evidence has to be provided, with witnesses, and the work has to have been carried out in a work-type environment. I wouldnt say a classroom is this.

I've taken a good look at their site and promotional videos. I have to say that, if they actually are as they appear, the facilities look fairly good, and comprehensive in terms of equipment (although Im not expert, and its propaganda anyway so it could be lies).

They also offer a guarantee, which would put me off a little, but they DO have their own corporate division which is a services company for third parties, so it looks like they employ you through that.

It sounds interesting... but its not necessarily a good deal. Ultimately thats one for you to consider. I would take a look at that logbook though, lots on interesting info about the course in there, and im fairly sure that its related to this course.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  9. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Sorry, just butting in now after reading this thread, basically you pay £450 for the course/admin fee and then another fee to gain the C&G's Cert for IT Practioners? Regardless of what "technology" is stated that you'll learn, almost every good IT course you actually study will incompass some Microsoft technology (client & server) and Cisco technology (basic networking is part of Cisco courses), etc.

You can buy the Btec Computing Engineering kit for £299 (and that includes a base unit or just the normal study kit for £149.99), buy the Mike Meyers A+ book (approx £30) then take the A+ exams (2 exams for approx £110 from here) and gain the Btec qual (£50 reg fee). So from under £350 you can gain 1 nationally recognised cert and one professionally recognised cert.

If you are unemployed and in reciept of certain benefits you can get certs & quals paid for by the government, eg our local college you can do all the MCSA/E, A+, etc courses for free in certain circumstances.

Hey at the end of the day, it's your money & time. And you have to decide what the best route for you is (this is dependant on your situation). We're just here offering alternatives.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  10. greenbrucelee

I have NVQs and a GNVQs in IT which I did about 11 years ago and yes you do course work but its more of a process of showing evidence that you have worked on a project or topic and can complete it to satisfactory level.

I would not say that they (city & guilds stuff) actually mean anything at the top end, the GNVQ helped me to get to University as at the time a GNVQ was said to have the equivalent status as an A level and a NVQ was the same as two GCSEs.

I am not sure if they still mean that but thats what they meant at the time.

11. Morne Louw

Morne Louw Byte Poster

Why do you mention a+ and n+ if you don't actually get the the certs or do you i am confused just need some clarification.

Certifications: ECDL, OCN Level 2 HTML, A+,MCDST,70-270
    WIP: MCSA/MCSE
  12. vakupa

vakupa New Member

:rolleyes: he got the job, a WEEK before we we were due to finish the course, he is on 20k a year.. read the thread carefully

tsk tsk!! :biggrin

13. greenbrucelee

it was his gramma that made it sound like he was on 20k a week.

Seem like the course is ok but how many are as lucky as him?

probably not that many.

14. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

the course doesnt garantee a job, you still have to find a job yourself! i know as i just finsihed the course. was worth it, in terms of improving my practical skill set. a lot of hands on exp is gained.

15. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Guys (I mean CF regulars), the fact that the OP hasn't responded suggests that there is more to the above post then meets the eye! Phrases such as "I don't have to pay any training fee", "fully sponsored"(twice) and "pay anything back" suggests to me that this is subliminal spam! The wording is just too good for a newbie IT training company enquiry!

I would ask that the mods/admins lock or delete the post as in my opinion it is nothing but pure spam!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  16. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

one guy did get a 20k job plus company car and petrol expenses, and that was network cabling job.

you get what you put of the job search. work hard and you will get a job! and if you dont, well stick to what you were previously doing. :)

average salarly after leavin the course is about 16 -18k... FACT!

17. susiequebed

susiequebed New Member

Hi Cisco Paul, thanks for your knowledge and reassurnance about this company, My son is a computer graduate and currently on his 4th week of training with the firm, he paid £500. They are getting hands on experience and help with CV's and they are working towards City and Guilds. I really hope this helps him find a job, as even with a 2:1 Hons Computing degree he is having trouble. He is happy with the course so far, as are the students he is sharing accomodation with, many of whom have paid the full price ( around 3K). Time will tell

Certifications: BSc Hons 2:1 Soc Science
    WIP: n/a
  18. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

HA HA

Certifications: A few.
  19. one

one New Member

Hi mate, think it was in 2007 when you started this thread, if ure still around, can you tell me whether you went in for the course, how it went and if you got some success from it? I am also thinking about taking 7 weeks out of my life and going in for it. Although the cheeky buggers state on their website that it is completely free. From the above posts it costs a few hundread pounds! A bargainn on the surface but if I get nothing out of it then be better of spending that money on 'other interests!'

Be good to get some feedback.