jaunty network manager

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by moominboy8668, Jul 2, 2009.

1. moominboy8668

moominboy8668 New Member

hi all!

i have a "small" problem which i'm sure is fairly easy to solve but i can't get my head around it.

i have had ubuntu 9.04 for a few months now and as you do, broke it, fixed it, broke it again! etc.

this morning though i was playing about with my wireless kit which wasn't set up before.

i adept installed pretty much all the wireless sniffers,managers etc i could find but couldn't get it working.

anyway,i digress, the main problem is that one of those un-installed the network manager and now i can't go online at all, for the curious i've installed 9.04 again on another hard drive and am on through that.

i have found the network manager .deb files and downloaded them (3 altogether i tried) only one of which would open with GDebi, the others open in Ark and i have no idea how to install or point the terminal at these files.

So! after that long winded explanation i'm hoping that some of you guys will be able to help out.

thanks in advance, dave.

2. moominboy8668

moominboy8668 New Member

even if i could just find the actual installation files for network manager on the 8.10 live cd then work out how to copy them into my preferred installation would be a great help?

the only adept preograms i have access to now are the ones already installed. sniff! :(

3. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

are you using ndiswrapper? So you can use windows wireless drivers.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  4. moominboy8668

moominboy8668 New Member

no i'm not wizard but again, couldn't install that anyway onto my old os. once i can get the ethernet up and running again i'll try wireless but tread a bit more carefully!

5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

However to use ndiswrapper you would need the original drivers that came with the kit.

6. moominboy8668

moominboy8668 New Member

yup i'll keep that in mind wizard!

any clues on re-installing network manager or wicd without an internet connection though?

ie, through a usb stick?:blink

7. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Nope sorry.

8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. moominboy8668

moominboy8668 New Member

yeah i've tried that bluerinse, but they are a mighty unsociable bunch! :)

10. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I agree, ask a simple question and some of them either ignore you, or they shoot some people down in flames because they don't know how to do something which seems simple to them.

11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

oh, dang.. first time i've heard someone say that. well such is life :helpread

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  12. moominboy8668

moominboy8668 New Member

yeah wizard was spot on. i understand it would be a very busy forum and it is full of helpful advice so i'm not gonna complain!

i've left this problem for just now anyway, have re-installed on another hdd and customised it all over again, but i'll keep looking for the answer to it!

thanks guys!