James Thornton Group!!

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by hafsa, Nov 19, 2008.

1. hafsa

hafsa New Member

hi people..

Im here seeking adivce regarding James Thornton Group. i had to take out £8000 Career develoment loan to do MCSA, which i never got round to complete as it was tooooo hard for complete in given time period i,e 40 days and there was no enuff help given either. After few days of commencing the course i spoke to them that i no longer wish to continue and want to get the refund. but i was been told it was too late even though i spoke to them a day or two after i started the course. I am paying off the CDL now and im finidng very hard to keep up with the payments. i have written several emails to them regarding my refund all i got back from them was "refer to you contract" and funny enough i was never given a contract. i was only given a contract fom Barclays where i took my CDL. but nothing was given from JTG. i have contacted consumer direct and they said they could forward it to Trading standards, i have written JTG a letter asking them to send me copy of my contract and their compliants procedure.

i just wanna know, would going to a solicitor and taking this matter further is worth it? cuz this loan repayment is too much to pay off..:cry:

any advice from any one who has been in same situation or faced similar trouble would be very very appriciated.

God BLess.

2. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

I would personally contact the CAB, the consumer credit act also covers loans (which states someone who purchases goods or a service can claim from the company if its on substandard quality or not delivered, and also persue the credit company if the selling company goes bust), but the problem here is that to claim you have to prove that the service or materials were not as promises or delivered (or of a substandard quality), if it is just because you decided you didnt want to do the course then i think that you are in a tricky situation as JT supplied the service, but you didnt take it up.

The key i feel here is to prove the training was inadequate, if it was just you who couldnt do the course then you are on shaky ground.

Also i would send an foi (freedom of information which i think you have to include a pound) request to James Thornton asking for a copy of all signed contracts, if they cant produce this then you could dispute on the grounds of a service never being supplied.

As I said chat with the CAB first, remember to get your points and story outlined, including dates if possible, you could also check out the consumeractiongroup website for more professional advice than this.

Good luck.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

First off, greetings hafsa. Welcome to CF. Secondly, please do a search on our forum for the training group in question. I'm sure this topic has already been discussed ad nauseum. The advice you seek may already be in one of our existing threads.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

If you search you'll find another thread about this company and I beleive they are now in the hands of the receivers.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)