I've been away for a wee while

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by UncleBeard, Dec 31, 2011.

1. UncleBeard

UncleBeard Nibble Poster

:ohmy What a December.

Exactly 3 weeks ago I went to the GP after 4 very short chest pains over two days, and was sent to the hospital "for tests".

Finally was allowed home yesterday afternoon after a double-bypass operation.

I am not looking for sympathy, I want to pass on the warnings about pains - DO NOT IGNORE any chest pain.

Today is Day 8 post-op and I have been back on my feet walking around for two days :eek:

Looking back it is incredible how lucky I have been - I might have ignored the pains very easily, the GP might have suggested it was indigestion, or the hospital might not have taken them seriously enough after their initial tests proved inconclusive.

Instead the team at Aberdeen Royal Infirmary (ARI are reckoned to be the best in the country :biggrin) decided to give me the option of having an angiogram, which allowed them to see that 3 coronary arteries were blocked and a bypass was needed urgently - do not go home, do not pass go etc.

Had the op on the 23rd, and I am now back at home recovering. I was released on Day 7 which is nothing special nowadays - except in my head where it feels absolutely brilliant.

I'm serious about ARI - the whole team there were fantastic - Surgeons, Registrars, Doctors, Nurses, Auxiliaries, Domestics - everyone seems to have just one aim - help you to get out of there in better shape than you went in.:D

Even the other inmates help each other through it all.:p

I hope this message inspires you, or if you are facing something similar cheers you, and if you have odd pains maybe even prompts you to do something about them

Have a brilliant 2012 - I know I will now.

Ray

Certifications: MOS 2003, 2007 and 2010, Master 2003, 2007 and 2010, MMI 2003, MCT, ITIL Foundation
    GiddyG and danielno8 like this.
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Glad to see that you're up and about again. :thumbleft

Sounds like it was a great christmas present.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Bloody hell! Glad your on the mend fella! :D

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Not sure how I missed this, glad to hear that you're getting better.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Thank you for sharing your story and well done for staying so positive 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)