1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Its probably been asked a thousand times before

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 Exams' started by Lev Arris, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Lev Arris

Lev Arris Byte Poster

Hi all,

I am aiming to start my revision towards the 290 exam next week (as its bonus day on Tuesday :p).

I'm pretty much a newbie on the whole of Server 03. I plan to set up a lab at home and hopefully slick myself into a server support role at some point in my studies.

I bought the MS Press book for 270 but struggled to read it as I found it like trying to eat muesli with water every morning (very good for you but incredibly boring).

I was wondering if anyone had found alternatives to the MS press book that were written in a more interesting way. I have seen that Mike Meyers company has a book out for the exam but I don't think he wrote it himself :-\

Has anyone got any suggestions on this subject?

As a secondary point I need to get my grubby hands on a copy of Server 03. I can't track down any trial versions on Microsofts website, are there any around or am I going to have to part with my hard earned loot?
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, MCSA (270,290,291)
    WIP: CCNA ..Global Domination
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I dont know about books for it bit I got an 180 day evaluation version of server 03 last week from Microsoft, I use it on virtual pc http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/bb430831.aspx you can download it for free or purchase a disk
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster Forum Leader

I am using the MS press book, however I am also using the windows server 2003 inside out which I find very informative which can be found here
    Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
  4. Lev Arris

Lev Arris Byte Poster

In the end and after trawling the forum I accepted the somewhat painful fact that I'm going to have to read the MS press books.

Having said that I purchased the pack of 4 "MCSE Self Paced Training Kit (Exams 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294): Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Core Requirements (Paperback)" which seems very cheap at £82 with postage considering how much they would be individually.

I also decided to get a little dual core action on my PC but held back on getting a new mobo with overclocking functions.

Now comes the hours of toil. I just hope I dont have the same issue as N+ where by the time I came to sit the test my book was out of date :cry:
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, MCSA (270,290,291)
    WIP: CCNA ..Global Domination